Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy an 09-10 powerstroke (I know several 08s do not have issues, but I just don't like the first year of any new model) ccsb 4wd fx4

I am looking for one under 50k miles. I have some questions that I have not been able to find searching:

1. What are the primary differences between 2009 and 2010?
2. Do fx4s have limited slip or is this a different option?
3. What gear choices are there in this configuration?
4. When looking at the truck, what specifically should I look for to know that it has properly been maintained? I do plan on getting an oasis report. Do I need to check the coolant or oil for anything? I have never owned a diesel.

I do plan on lifting/tuning/deleting whatever truck I get if it isn't already.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm an FNG as well but I bought a CC FX4 in the 08 version with no problems thus far.

I will answer this though, it has a slip but they aren't much better than an open carrier. Get a lunch box locker if you are looking for more traction.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not really much differences between the two. In 2010 they changed up the packages a little. ie. you could get the FX4 with a chrome grill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm an FNG as well but I bought a CC FX4 in the 08 version with no problems thus far.

I will answer this though, it has a slip but they aren't much better than an open carrier. Get a lunch box locker if you are looking for more traction.

Thanks. So are all fx4s limited slip or all f250s?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ford has a site to do an original window sticker lookup (can google it) which may tell you if it's limited slip (mine does).

Or there used to be a vin decoder that showed that axle code:

(2008)
Axle Ratios :: Non-Limited Slip Code :: Limited Slip Code

3.73 :: 37 :: 3L
4.10 :: 41 :: 4N/4W*
4.30 :: 43 :: 4L
4.88 :: 48 :: 8L
5.38 :: 53 :: 5L

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If it still has the ford gold coolant then the nitrates should be checked. They should be higher than 800. If they are not you can buy a chemical that helps bump it up. If it is well below 800 they recommend flushing the coolant system and replacing with fresh stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys just got an 08 crew cab Gona lift it about 3 or 4 inches and I'm looking for a set of 10 or 12 inch wheels and maybe tires would like to get mostly black does anyone have some??

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maintenance maintenance maintenance. 6.4s will cripple under poor maint. Oasis report and check pr I'm fuel filter housing. Trust me. U will regret it if u don't.

Just my 2 cents. I love everythin about my 2010 except for the monthly payment...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
don't know what pr is..:dunno:

as for the sync, I think the only change was in the Nav systems from 08 to 09. After that they stayed the same until 11.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry bud. Darn iPhone and my fat fingers. I meant primary fuel filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry bud. Darn iPhone and my fat fingers. I meant primary fuel filter.

Thanks. What exactly am I looking for? If its dirty? Does the fuel filter need to be removed to check this or is it just a visual check without removing anything?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There's 2 fuel filters on the 6.4. One on top the engine and the other under the drives side on the frame rail. You'd have to open them to inspect them, but if I was buying a used truck I'd go ahead and put in brand new ones from the start. Change them between 10-15k miles and drain water from the one under the truck every month or so. (there's a lever to drain the water out)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Start by trying to drain using yellow tab. Pm me if u want need more Info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts