Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does Ford make a heavy duty torque converter for the 4R100, similar to the billet triple disc? reason i ask....my trans is going out for the third time since February. every time the fault has been with the tc, but unfortunately when it goes it takes the whole trans with it. the last go around i just towed it to ford and paid 3900 to have them put a trans in it so i would get a fully covered warranty for 3yr/100k. that was less than 2k miles ago. i know the tq is going cause i've been down this road before. friend of mine owns/operates a tranny shop for 20+ years and tells me the 4R100 is a good sound trans, when placed behind a tc that isn't junk like the stock tc. he offered to drop in a billet for me for $600 but i didn't let him because of the warranty through Ford.

i tow a 5er that weighs in at just under 14K. i have a custom chip from php and tow on the 60 tow setting. i have the stock radiator cooler as well as the ota cooler, and installed a 45k ota cooler up front. normal temps run around 160 towing on flat land, and raise to 170-180 on grades, occasionally getting to 190. it has only seen 200 once or twice and just as i crested the top. the problem is when downshifting for those long steep grades, when it hits second gear you can almost immediately smell the fluid being cooked. and yes, the tc is still locked during this time.

it seems to me that the fluid is being super heated in the tc, but the coolers are cooling it back down with no problem. thus the tc is just being cooked, but obviously the rest of the trans is wasted when the tc blows apart.

sorry for the long post, but finally here is my question...

1. will a triple disc tc generate less heat, even though the tc is locked?
2. any other ideas/suggestions about something i should do different or upgrade?
3. does ford have/offer an upgraded tc for the 4R100? reason i ask is because of the warranty i assume they will only install ford oem components, and will not install aftermarket parts. or am i wrong?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, how about anyone?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
do you have gauges to monitor your temps? in all honestly if you want another stock have them put it in under warranty but put a better TC with it.... if it was me though i would put a built one in. i am running BTS and LOVE It! you can also check out ATS as for my TC its a precisions industries and yes its purple :thumb: Brians Truck Shop

the reason i say go built is because its bound to blow again. my theory is if you break something build it better so it doesnt happen again. your gonna pay a little more but when you blow 2 stockers your actually saving money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see ford now has a hd 4r100 with upgrades. if they have to replace the trans (i hope so) i will have them put in the hd application trans. it is about 1k more.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i see ford now has a hd 4r100 with upgrades. if they have to replace the trans (i hope so) i will have them put in the hd application trans. it is about 1k more.
I just had a regular ford tranny put in. The tranny alone was 2100. Your better off going with a built one such as BTS as stated above, one that has been tortured and tested and still holds up, rather than drop the extra grand on another ford tranny.

By the time you figure up the price of a tranny plus the grand for the HD style tranny plus labor to put it in you can buy yourself a BTS unit. All you would have to do is pay for labor to instal it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the tranny is under warranty by ford. they are going to put in the hd tranny for the difference in price between the two, which is around 800 and some change. the new hd ford trans has all the upgraded clutches and sprags and all the other goodies. it has the increased number of clutch plates. it also comes with the triple disc billett. can't go wrong for 800 in my opinion. pretty simple math.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts