Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and just got out of the intro forum. I recently bought the truck in my signature and I have a quick question. I owned a cummins previously and that thing took a good while for the temp gauge to move off the cold mark (even in warm weather). My 7.3 Powerstroke seems to warm up really quick. For example, 62 degrees this mornin, I started it up and let it idle for 1 minute. Then eased out of my complex onto the street to the stop light. Only a 1/4 mile at no speed over 20mph and the needle was already off the C line. The cummins would've taken about 3 more miles at 45 to move. The truck doesen't overheat, I was just wondering if this is the norm with a 7.3 or is there an issue. Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Read the sticky about winter operation. That will help in cold weather.
Bax

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas! It isn't overheatin at all so I guess its good to go.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The cummins might have had a bad t-stat.

What your asking sounds about right to me also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now when its 15 degrees outside...its gona warm up like a diesel. My drive to work is 25 miles. There is a steep hill climb like 5 miles from my house. Once I climb that hill, then I have heat.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Even in single digits, mine will defrost the windows in 15-20 min of idling.

Maybe a t-stat is in your future too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My 05 Cummins took FOREVER to warm up. It literally would be 15-20 minutes before I had heat on a 25 degree morning. My 02 7.3 takes about 5 to produce the same amount of heat. Totally normal, although I do find it weird as the 7.3's cooling system is larger and the motor runs with lower EGTs than the Cummins. My Cummins would easily hit 1,300 on hills that my 7.3 only gets to 1,000.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Warm up time? What's that? :hehe:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My 05 Cummins took FOREVER to warm up. It literally would be 15-20 minutes before I had heat on a 25 degree morning. My 02 7.3 takes about 5 to produce the same amount of heat. Totally normal, although I do find it weird as the 7.3's cooling system is larger and the motor runs with lower EGTs than the Cummins. My Cummins would easily hit 1,300 on hills that my 7.3 only gets to 1,000.
Well a CR Cummins is pushing a LOT more fuel than a stockish 7.3. I never had an issue with cab heat but it did take a long while for my 04.5 Cummins to move off of cold on the water temp gauge.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well a CR Cummins is pushing a LOT more fuel than a stockish 7.3. I never had an issue with cab heat but it did take a long while for my 04.5 Cummins to move off of cold on the water temp gauge.

Exactly, so you would think the Cummins would warm up quicker since it pushing more fuel and runs hotter. But it's not the case, the cooling system must be more efficient than the 7.3s. I am not complaining though, it's nice to have a warm cab in 5 minutes instead of 15.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
New to the forum and just got out of the intro forum. I recently bought the truck in my signature and I have a quick question. I owned a cummins previously and that thing took a good while for the temp gauge to move off the cold mark (even in warm weather). My 7.3 Powerstroke seems to warm up really quick. For example, 62 degrees this mornin, I started it up and let it idle for 1 minute. Then eased out of my complex onto the street to the stop light. Only a 1/4 mile at no speed over 20mph and the needle was already off the C line. The cummins would've taken about 3 more miles at 45 to move. The truck doesen't overheat, I was just wondering if this is the norm with a 7.3 or is there an issue. Any advise would be appreciated!
Not sure why everybody thinks the cummins is the holy grail of trucks. My powerstroke starts far easier than my cummins ever did, gets warmer faster, and controls egt's better.

Now when its 15 degrees outside...its gona warm up like a diesel. My drive to work is 25 miles. There is a steep hill climb like 5 miles from my house. Once I climb that hill, then I have heat.
Very true. When its 30* and colder its gonna take a bit longer for sure.

My cummins took forever to heat up also. Although heating up has little to do with radiator efficiency; it has to do with the ecu being programmed to run the tstat/ebpv. Also, we're comparing a baby 5.9 cyl to a 7.3liter v8... which sounds like it will more obviously create more heat?

BTW, I'm also inclined to not believe that a powerstroke has a less efficient radiator simply because most cummins in stock form will get to the "hot zone" in egt's by simply dogging on it. Most powerstrokes can take some ample mods before they get anywhere near the hot zone.

Exactly, so you would think the Cummins would warm up quicker since it pushing more fuel and runs hotter. But it's not the case, the cooling system must be more efficient than the 7.3s. I am not complaining though, it's nice to have a warm cab in 5 minutes instead of 15.
read reply above... not inclined whatsoever that a cummins has a more efficient cooling system.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not sure why everybody thinks the cummins is the holy grail of trucks. My powerstroke starts far easier than my cummins ever did, gets warmer faster, and controls egt's better.

Very true. When its 30* and colder its gonna take a bit longer for sure.

My cummins took forever to heat up also. Although heating up has little to do with radiator efficiency; it has to do with the ecu being programmed to run the tstat/ebpv. Also, we're comparing a baby 5.9 cyl to a 7.3liter v8... which sounds like it will more obviously create more heat?

BTW, I'm also inclined to not believe that a powerstroke has a less efficient radiator simply because most cummins in stock form will get to the "hot zone" in egt's by simply dogging on it. Most powerstrokes can take some ample mods before they get anywhere near the hot zone.

read reply above... not inclined whatsoever that a cummins has a more efficient cooling system.
I hear what you are saying but it still doesn't totally make sense to me. The ECU does not have any control over the T-Stat and I deleted the EPBV on my truck so neither of those apply in my case. Don't know what temp the T-Stat is on the Cummins but maybe that has something to do with it. Trust me, I wasn't saying the Cummins was superior either....just seemed like the cooling system was TOO efficient. I had a few 5 degree mornings where my truck never got fully warm without putting a piece of cardboard over the grill to reduce airflow through the radiator. Again, my 7.3 doesn't have that issue in temps that low.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
The ECU controls EOT and ECT's....

not to mention a v8 thats nearly 2 liters bigger than an inline 6 5.9 is sure to heat up quicker due to shear physics.

Like I said, I know stock cummins that can get to the point of high running egt's, let alone the modded ones. those i6 cant handle the heat nearly as well as our v8's do.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The ECU controls EOT and ECT's....

not to mention a v8 thats nearly 2 liters bigger than an inline 6 5.9 is sure to heat up quicker due to shear physics.

Like I said, I know stock cummins that can get to the point of high running egt's, let alone the modded ones. those i6 cant handle the heat nearly as well as our v8's do.
And that is based on what?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hmmm... I have no idea if they have better cooler system or not. My CTD would warm up pretty quickly if I was towing or plowing but unloaded it too forever but I still got cab heat without too much of a delay.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
And that is based on what?
That fact that they are undersized and underpowered motors that are maxed out from the factory.

Hmmm... I have no idea if they have better cooler system or not. My CTD would warm up pretty quickly if I was towing or plowing but unloaded it too forever but I still got cab heat without too much of a delay.
Exactly. Cummins get hot real quickly... trannies, egt's and coolant temps. Even stock those motors are taxed... let alone putting a load or some mods behind it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That fact that they are undersized and underpowered motors that are maxed out from the factory.
They are underpowered and yet maxed out... huh?

Exactly. Cummins get hot real quickly... trannies, egt's and coolant temps. Even stock those motors are taxed... let alone putting a load or some mods behind it.
Mine got up to operating temp in a hurry under load, not overheating. Both of these trucks are designed to pull so properly maintained and operated cooling shouldn't be an issue for either. They behave a little differently but both accomplish the same goal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts