Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a stock 2006 F250 6.0l I bought used. 168K seems to have been well taken care of, but Im curious about the towing temps.
Normal driving with no load, the coolant temp (Torque supplied) is about 190 and the engine oil temp usually stays 5 to 15 degrees higher
depending on the load. The tranny temp is about 160 without the trailer. With a trailer at about 7k to 7400 I run about 215 to 220 on the oil
temp, but sometimes the tranny temp gets up to about 180. There have been two times where the Tow/Haul light started to flash while under
load, but cleared again after a stop/start. I do not use the Tow/Haul mode when towing. My concern is not with the oil or coolant temp, but
with the Tranny temp. What should be the max safe Transmission Temperature I should tolerate? Any advice from seasoned veterans would
be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm not a seasoned vet, but I play one on the ORG!!! Correct me if I'm wrong guys - I think normal range is max 220 deg F on the tranny temp. I've heard of guys going higher (temporarily) with no problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same year truck. CC LB 4x4. I full time live in a 15k 5th wheel and I’ve only seems trans temps as high as the 180 range. 189 has been my max up a 5% 2 mile long grade in the PA hills. I’ve read that 230 is max. My tow haul light has never flashed. Other than the flashing light I would say your OK.

Did your fan kick on to lower coolant and oil temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same year truck. CC LB 4x4. With almost the same miles. I full time live in a 15k 5th wheel and I’ve only seems trans temps as high as the 180 range. 189 has been my max up a 5% 2 mile long grade in the PA hills. I’ve read that 230 is max. My tow haul light has never flashed. Other than the flashing light I would say your OK.

Your normal temps are what mine are also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same year truck. CC LB 4x4. With almost the same miles. I full time live in a 15k 5th wheel and I’ve only seems trans temps as high as the 180 range. 189 has been my max up a 5% 2 mile long grade in the PA hills. I’ve read that 230 is max. My tow haul light has never flashed. Other than the flashing light I would say your OK.

Your normal temps are what mine are also.

Thanks for the response, mine is the Extended Cab short bed 4X4. I also monitor the fan speed with Torque and it ranged from 400 rpms
up to as high as 1800 rpm when loaded hard. Keep in mind that these max temps and speeds are while pulling the trailer at over 60 miles
per hour.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Why the hell would you NOT use tow haul when towing? Why are you surprised by high temperatures when you deliberately choose to use the machine incorrectly?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Not gonna lie, that was a pretty petty response @nitrogen. With that said perhaps he is tuned and does not like the shift schedule down low. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the torque converter locked above 60 mph even when running stock? So what difference would it be if he was in tow haul? Granit i run a 6.4, but it has a similar transmission and i rarely run tow haul because i dont like the shift schedule under 40 and above 40 it shifts the exact same tow haul or not with 4th and 5th tc locked.
So to finish off my rant, please explain to me how tow haul will lower trans temps above 60 and what the differences are in the trans operation? Let’s see if you actually can keep yourself afloat after that comment.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
First off if I have to explain to the two of you how towhaul works. I'm probably wasting my time. It raises the shift points and increases clutch pressures to reduce slipping. Slipping definitely can and will raise temperatures

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
And then of course there is the fact that it is called tow haul, and those crazy crazy people who designed it and know how it is supposed to work tell you to use it when your Towing. But of course what does the factory know that you in your wisdom don't know better

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I guess in your great wisdom and multiple years of experience you've never heard of a torque converter lock-up clutch slipping. Exceeding the torque capacity of the lock-up clutch by holding clock up too long is one of the major causes of burning up Transmissions. When it starts to slip it makes heat and it doesn't slip all that much before it goes up in smoke and takes your whole transmission with it. Putting it into a hall tells the transmission to downshift or unlock before slippage actually happens. Yes if you have a really good tow tune it should and I say should do much the same as the Ford program. Tow haul also keeps it in gear on downgrade to help slow you down. Once again a good tow tune should do that as well. But why bother Reinventing the wheel when tow haul does that already and it's included in the price of the vehicle

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Downshifting will happen when you mash the gas in tow haul or not, it wont matter. We arent talking about down shifting, nor are we talking about engine braking. We are talking about how you think the trans fluid is heating up in 5th gear with presumably no shifts out of 5th because you think tow haul is not activated.
Also i would like to point out the fact you think ford engineered a direct clutch to only hold the rated torque in tow haul mode... that says alot right there.
And to top off my rant, there is alot of reasons not to use tow haul, light loads, hard shifts, poor gas milage, noise, unnecessary high engine rpm, etc. Theres a time and place for tow haul and most drivers understand that and practice when and when not to use it. The fact that you are coming out of the gate with “why the hell” like you have it all dialed in does not fly here. Especially since you cant even manage to give a rebuttle that answers the question i asked you. But maybe the direct clutch slip comment was the answer, to which i say i rest my case.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I guess you don't know the difference between a direct drive and a torque converter lockup. Better go back to reciting the ABCs make sure you get them in order. Maybe your Daddy can help you get that right

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Transmission... temperature... answer...

you seem like a stand up guy saying to people why the hell dont you do this and then when someone calls you out you bring up “daddy”. Typical for someone to lash out and hap-hazardly insult everyone and everything when they dont have any answers... i understand man, we can group hug if it makes you feel better.

But until you figure out how to conduct yourself in a manner that doesnt resemble self defecation, i will be waiting for an actual answer of how tow haul will help a trans that stays in 5th....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts