Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have an '06 PSD with 30k. I have the SCT Livewire, afe airbox, and turbo back 4" exhaust. Before I have problems Im getting a friend of mine to do the the head studs. He's a ford mechanic and is doing it on the side for $900. I thought that was a pretty good deal so Im doing it. My question is after I do this, is there anything else I need to worry about if I run my SCT on the "performance" map??
Thanks,
Ernie

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I would block the EGR cooler if not delete the whole thing. That is another common problem with 6.0's.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hey guys. I have an '06 PSD with 30k. I have the SCT Livewire, afe airbox, and turbo back 4" exhaust. Before I have problems Im getting a friend of mine to do the the head studs. He's a ford mechanic and is doing it on the side for $900. I thought that was a pretty good deal so Im doing it. My question is after I do this, is there anything else I need to worry about if I run my SCT on the "performance" map??
Thanks,
Ernie
$900?? Does that include the cost of the studs?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Now that would be a hell of a deal! lol...No thats labor.
Still a fair deal, And yes, Ask him to do an EGR delete while he's in there. I'm sure he will do so.

Good Luck

But If your only at 30K, Why do them now, Your friend is a Tech. You will not have any problems getting warranty coverage if you have a problem

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Still a fair deal, And yes, Ask him to do an EGR delete while he's in there. I'm sure he will do so.

Good Luck

But If your only at 30K, Why do them now, Your friend is a Tech. You will not have any problems getting warranty coverage if you have a problem
thats a good point, I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Good Luck

He told me Ford is really cracking down and sending out people to varify no "mods" have been done. Even checking the burn on the piston? So I figured its better to have it done, rather than get stranded someplace. I drag race (not my truck, a car) and tow an enclosed trailor alot so I dont want any headaches. Thanks for the heads up on the egr delete.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
He told me Ford is really cracking down and sending out people to varify no "mods" have been done. Even checking the burn on the piston? So I figured its better to have it done, rather than get stranded someplace. I drag race (not my truck, a car) and tow an enclosed trailor alot so I dont want any headaches. Thanks for the heads up on the egr delete.:thumb:

With that said, Your on the right track. Do it and you will have avoided a potential week point and problem:thumb:

·
Registered
2017 Ford F-250 xlt
797 Posts
$900.00 in labor? Really damn..

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
$900 is a lot but you're still saving at least $500 bucks. I paid 400 and had studs, fuel kit, and brakes done. If he is your friend I would talk to him about that price.

·
Registered
786 Posts
For 900 I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a kidkat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
at my dealer the labor alone was over $1600. HOORAY WARRANTY! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm just suprised with all the 05's and newer getting studded. I thought that was mostly an 03-04 issue. You guys are making me nervous running my Looney.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
$900 is a lot but you're still saving at least $500 bucks. I paid 400 and had studs, fuel kit, and brakes done. If he is your friend I would talk to him about that price.
yeah but yours was done under warranty it sounds like he is just havinghim do it on the side no warranty at all

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny thing is I was towing my car yesterday and my engine temp gauge went full hot. I pulled over and it went back to normal right away. I didn't know what to make of it. I popped the hood and all seemed ok so I went back to driving. On the way home it happend two more times. The one time I pulled over, anti-freezed looked as if it was sprayed under my hood. I wiped it off and I really couldn't see anything wrong. The temp gauge went to normal everytime in just a couple seconds. Any help on what in the world this is??? Thanks. BTW..I towed the trailor today and it never went hot. Go figure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Funny thing is I was towing my car yesterday and my engine temp gauge went full hot. I pulled over and it went back to normal right away. I didn't know what to make of it. I popped the hood and all seemed ok so I went back to driving. On the way home it happend two more times. The one time I pulled over, anti-freezed looked as if it was sprayed under my hood. I wiped it off and I really couldn't see anything wrong. The temp gauge went to normal everytime in just a couple seconds. Any help on what in the world this is??? Thanks. BTW..I towed the trailor today and it never went hot. Go figure.
Sounds like EGR cooler. The puking is from it flashboiling the coolant.

·
Registered
578 Posts
whats a better stud APR or H11? i heard H11 is a little better then APR. or it doesn't matter what stud you put on

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
most all the people have arp, i dont think it really matters

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The H11 are better but they are like double the price for not double the strength..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts