Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a complete novice in the diesel world. Bought an 04 this winter and just made the first long trip towing our 5th wheel. No problems encountered until about 5 miles from home. Got off the Interstate, fueled up and ran into Wally world for a few supplies. On leaving there was a slight uphill grade.

The truck had no power to speak of, stumbled a little (if it was a gasser I would say it was flooded) and was belching the most enormous black cloud of death you can imagine. I've seen freight trains run by with less smoke. After a half mile or so, everything was back to normal both uphill and down. Nothing lit up on the dash. I'm going to the dealer to have error codes checked but with your combined years of experience (shameless brown nosing here) WTF could have happened? :dunno:

Your expert opinions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I'm a complete novice in the diesel world. Bought an 04 this winter and just made the first long trip towing our 5th wheel. No problems encountered until about 5 miles from home. Got off the Interstate, fueled up and ran into Wally world for a few supplies. On leaving there was a slight uphill grade.

The truck had no power to speak of, stumbled a little (if it was a gasser I would say it was flooded) and was belching the most enormous black cloud of death you can imagine. I've seen freight trains run by with less smoke. After a half mile or so, everything was back to normal both uphill and down. Nothing lit up on the dash. I'm going to the dealer to have error codes checked but with your combined years of experience (shameless brown nosing here) WTF could have happened? :dunno:

Your expert opinions welcomed.
Since it was black smoke and not white, it sounds to me like the EGR valve is dirty causing it to stick open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And would a stuck EGR valve then reopen (or reclose) itself? Intermittent problems really annoy me. Makes them tough to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did you get a CEL ?
I have gotten a CEL that points to the EGR but with out any other issues with the way it runs.
Have you had your truck scanned for codes ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not had the dealer scan the system yet so I'm not sure if any codes have been stored. There was no CEL.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Jim,
To me it sounds like your turbo was sticking. It's more common on the 03's and 04's. You might either have it checked out at the dealership or you can pull it yourself and clean it up. Here's a LINK to an article concerning it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Jim,
To me it sounds like your turbo was sticking. It's more common on the 03's and 04's. You might either have it checked out at the dealership or you can pull it yourself and clean it up. Here's a LINK to an article concerning it. Good luck!
I agree that the turbos stuck more in the 03 and 04 trucks but doesn't it seem weird that it was perfectly fine for the whole trip until 5 minutes from home? Usually the turbo acts up from not running it hard enough. Just my :twocents:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea why that would be...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I agree that the turbos stuck more in the 03 and 04 trucks but doesn't it seem weird that it was perfectly fine for the whole trip until 5 minutes from home? Usually the turbo acts up from not running it hard enough. Just my :twocents:
Agree AGAIN, My turbo acts up when running 50-60 miles at a consistent 1800-2000 rpms, Then you get on it, stumble stumble. Let off and punch it, Problem solved, But I would still clean the egr valve if it has not been done.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
EGR Valve it sounds like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I don't feel comfortable about taking off the EGR valve so I'll make sure the dealer checks it when they check the codes.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I don't feel comfortable about taking off the EGR valve so I'll make sure the dealer checks it when they check the codes.
Maybe, But make sure you bring it up, Just tell them it's never been replaced, They will check and replace, Or at least clean when it's out.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts