Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? Im looking at this 06 f250. It is high mileage wise for the year, at 158k. Price is around 18. Its at a dealer and its around 500 under book. Now I have a carfax on it and it shows three owners and the last owner had the transmission and injector(s) replaced. HEre is the excerpt from the carfax:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, it was replaced at 138k. Should I be worried about that? I would assume its good. Also, you can see a few excerpts with service being done. But it doesnt look like it was as frequent as it should have been, no? I guess what Im asking is, does it seem like a decent buy? Everything else looks good. But as with all 6.0s, the studs are my main concern.

Can anyone run an oasis on it?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, was there any issues with the trans that year? Is it good that it was replaced ort a sign of neglect or abuse? what about the injectors? I knwo they can **** the bed but is that another sign of bad service history etc? As in not doing opil changes when needed? What about the studs and EGR for that year? Is that mileage high for it too?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Take it to a mechanic who specializes in powerstrokes. I ran the carfax on one and it all looked good, took it to my dude and he told me to run away from it.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Really not trying to be a jerk here so please don't take it that way. Honestly you shouldn't buy a 6.0 if you aren't educated on the 6.0 and it's faults and problems. Now I know not every truck is the same or will have problems. But if you go in blind you will end up spending way more money on this truck than you would ever think. Don't rush into it cause it looks like a great deal. 6.0's can be bought for a dime a dozen these days so take some time and get to know the 6.0 and all of it's ins and outs and go make an informed purchase on a truck that you know and feel comfortable with the purchase.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great advice Tuscany. I just recently bought one. Not having a monitor when I test drove it was a big no-no! Long story short when I got the truck home and put the gauges on it I saw my engine oil temps were up around 235. I knew right then I was gonna be putting some money in this truck. The oil cooler was clogged with a bad set Of head gaskets. I did what I thought was a good visual but without the gauges it's really hard to tell whats going on internally. I don't regret buying the truck I just wasn't ready to throw 3500 into it.

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Really not trying to be a jerk here so please don't take it that way. Honestly you shouldn't buy a 6.0 if you aren't educated on the 6.0 and it's faults and problems. Now I know not every truck is the same or will have problems. But if you go in blind you will end up spending way more money on this truck than you would ever think. Don't rush into it cause it looks like a great deal. 6.0's can be bought for a dime a dozen these days so take some time and get to know the 6.0 and all of it's ins and outs and go make an informed purchase on a truck that you know and feel comfortable with the purchase.
I met a guy on cl. Traded him my lightning for the 6.0. Test drove it that night and walked away.

Month later new injectors and a rear end. But he calls me next day from trade and says lightning is running like **** and sounds like a tractor. Needless to say I told him the turbo blew and was gushing oil.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you both got screwed. Guess thats why its as is no warranty.

I met a guy on cl. Traded him my lightning for the 6.0. Test drove it that night and walked away.

Month later new injectors and a rear end. But he calls me next day from trade and says lightning is running like **** and sounds like a tractor. Needless to say I told him the turbo blew and was gushing oil.

·
2,068 Posts
It was a mutual fing. I was pretty sure a valve was bad in it.

·
2,068 Posts
Not at all. I told him. I told him everything about it. The new rear end that was less than 500miles I just put in. How the title was salvaged. And when I went to get the title from him a week later he told me how he forgot to tell me the title was a dealer buy back and that it still had leans on it and he knew it wasn't running right.

I didn't with hold info about anything. He showed up high to switch cars.

And this is why I no longer do car business on cl.

·
2,068 Posts
I'm still finding over spray on this truck. I don't think ill buy another car unless its new.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I understand completely. I'm just trying to save you the headaches and problems of buying a truck without knowing ahead of time what your getting into. Used car warranties aren't worth the paper their written on. Don't count on those to be your saving grace if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i will sell u mine its 06 ,93000 miles on it ex cab 8 ft. bed ,,very clean and has leather 4 new firestones n coolant filter ,,

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I understand completely. I'm just trying to save you the headaches and problems of buying a truck without knowing ahead of time what your getting into. Used car warranties aren't worth the paper their written on. Don't count on those to be ~your saving grace if something goes wrong.
Tuscany, I have to disagree with you, at least in my experience. I bought a $3000 (the best one offered, said it was pretty much bumper to bumper, like it came from the factory new with, other than bulbs, brake shoes, etc) 5 yr/60k mile Ford ESP warranty from my local Ford dealer the day after I picked up my Ex from the used car dealer in Chicago. Within 3 weeks I had gone over it fairly well, and brought it back to them with a list of things to fix. The total came to over $2200, and it mainly consisted of front end work, along with a few odds and ends that needed fixing. So, for me it worked out to be an approx $800 cost for the next 4 1/2 years of warranty. For me this works out quite well, as this unit is used only when there is no snow around, mostly for pulling my camper, so I seriously doubt I will hit the mileage limit, almost certainly hit the time limit before that happens. Of course, if buying a aftermarket warranty, YMMV. Just wanted to put my experience out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts