Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 SD diesel and with the privacy laws I cannot find out who owned it previously. The exhaust is a 4" straight pipe and everything else took out. It has nothing that I can find in the way of a fuel control like superchips or bully dog. The turbo really spools. It actually sound like a semi when shifting through the gears. At throttle past about 2k it blows black smoke like some of these modded trucks do. Is there any at home mods that wouldn't be apparent that I could look for. I get about 16 mpg but really don't need all the extra power if it would help my mpg.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
He may have down loaded a tune from a tuner. There for you would not see any chips. You could get the pcm flashed and thay would erase the programming in the pcm and reset it back to stock. But once you do that you may want a TW chip or DP tuner.

·
Registered
659 Posts
if it blows black smoke then a programmer has left a tune on the pcm.if it is not a real hot program i would leave it .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would rather have that then the same tune all the time. I did notice when messing with the clutch pedal that there is only one bolt in the computer case beside the clutch and it was loose. I tightened it up. I bet that is what they have done. Do you think it would get better mileage at stock when not pulling anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have a question about my clutch pedal also. There is a rod that goes into the master cylinder from the pedal arm. That rod will not stay locked in the sleeve and the pedal comes back all the way to the dash. Does anyone know if there is some kind of keeper that has broke. I have the 6 spd.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yea if you can keep your foot out of it a programmed truck will get better mpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts