Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got an 05 6.0 PSD. Running MBRP turbo back exhaust with test pipes and without the muffler. Straight Pipes basically. I like the sound but am wondering if it will sound any better with the muffler on. Any advice? Anyone got sample vids of setups with test pipes and mufflers on?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't have a sample video, but I love the sound of mine. They will bark pretty good at a full throttle. I you look through the muffler, there is about a 3 inch diameter hole going through it anyway.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what i am thinking but wanted to get a sound before going through the trouble of installing the muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
that is what i am thinking but wanted to get a sound before going through the trouble of installing the muffler.
Don't do it....

·
Registered
426 Posts
i have the 5 inch turbo back and my muffler you can see right through about 4 inch hole in it and i wouldnt ever run a straight pipe again

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a 5inch straight pipe first, hacked it up trying different things and decided to go MBRP 4 inch, came with a muffler so I threw it on. The next day I had the muffler delete in the mail. I hated it with a muffler, it was way to quiet for me, didnt sound nearly as mean. Then, all straight piped again I loved it, even more than the tone of my 5 inch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a 5inch straight pipe first, hacked it up trying different things and decided to go MBRP 4 inch, came with a muffler so I threw it on. The next day I had the muffler delete in the mail. I hated it with a muffler, it was way to quiet for me, didnt sound nearly as mean. Then, all straight piped again I loved it, even more than the tone of my 5 inch.
See that is your problem right there. They get louder after heating them up. Some guys actually dip the muffler in deisel before installing it. I have had my on for two weeks pulling a 38' fifth wheel and it resonates like crazy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
See that is your problem right there. They get louder after heating them up. Some guys actually dip the muffler in deisel before installing it. I have had my on for two weeks pulling a 38' fifth wheel and it resonates like crazy.
Quite a few of my friends have mufflers on their aftermarket exhausts, so I know what it sounds like. It just wasn't for me. I have another car to daily for when I want to be quiet.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
i was running a straight pipe mbrp 4" for awhile ( 2 years ) but put the muffler on. it sounds quieter but i use the truck for everything and i have 2 kids so i needed a little bit more quiet. overall i like it. i can run a little vid for you if you like.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
muffler staying off it is haha...thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts