Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 08 6.4 and want to do a doc/dpf delete and tuner. I am going back and forth between the spartan and h&s. I think I am going towards the h&s. But after reading on here and other forums it seems like their are loads of issues once these tuners are installed? And what is the transmission learning all about? How long does it take? I previously had a 06 6.0 with an edge programmer and it seemed like a piece of cake to these tuners? Also the different trans. tunes seem confusing. When does the TC lock now on the factory program? Thanks for the info guys. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! Spartan and H & S both make a good product. Can't go wrong with either. The only reason I'd choose the H & S over the Spartan is because you get the high horsepower tunes "free" with the H & S. If you want the high HP tunes with the Spartan, they cost extra. Not sure what these loads of problems you're referring to are. They're pretty much plug and play. The transmission learning is pretty quick. It requires doing three runs.

1. 0-60MPH @ 1/4 throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.
2. 0-60MPH @ 1/2 throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.
3. 0-80MPH @ wide open throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been very happy with my minimaxx H&S are very responsive to user feedback and have just recently published an update to recalibrate the EGT sensor. The Hot Damn tune makes crazy power and is a free download from their site.
The custom trans tunes (also free) allow you to adjust TC lockup. The tune uses the schedule 1 medium setting as default and I use it. Trans relearn is a simple process and speeds up the time it takes for your trans to get used to your new power curve.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The learning isn't a problem, it is just a process. The transmission adjusts to your driving habits, it is literally "learning". When you tune the truck it changes the trans file so it has to "learn" again. Not a big deal, should be good to go in a day or two of driving.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also if you tow you can shift from a high HP tune to a low one on the fly without reloading anything just the press of a button.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the minimax really hard to read because of the size? Don't know if it is worth the extra couple hundred dollars.when towing is it wise to be on the lowest setting? I guess the issues I have seen are high egts, cruise control issues and shifting issues?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
You cant go wrong with either one, they both do an excellent job. My personal favorite is the Mini Maxx, I think its the best all around tuner on the market. Shift-on-the-fly tuning, free updates, several tunes to choose from, monitor with safety features, and VERY competitive pricing make it really tough to compete with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the Black Maxx. The power increase is amazing. I had a smile on my face for about 3 weeks after I installed it. There are a few small issues with it, but each time there is an issue, H&S has a free update to fix it. I bought it for the adjustability, but mine stays on Hot (extra 300 hp). Also, you can completly cover a 2 lane road with smoke if you like that sort of thing (which I do!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
So the guys with the mini max's do you like how small that screen is?
When mounted the screen is actually pretty close to your face, I don't have any issues reading it. I didn't really feel like spending the extra for the Black Maxx and I'm glad I didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I bought the black maxx and a buddy has the mini I`m glad i spent the extra money.I have the dash mount as does he and it is definitely easier to read. I plan on keeping my ride a long time so i felt the extra bucks will pay off.Really though with either you can`t go wrong

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So everytime you change a tune you do these three runs so your transmission can adapt to the new tune? What about the whole defueling feature?

·
Registered
63 Posts
So everytime you change a tune you do these three runs so your transmission can adapt to the new tune? What about the whole defueling feature?
Defueling is just a safety feature. If a certain truck parameter (EGT, coolant temp, trans temp, etc.) gets too high the tuner will cut back on the fueling until that parameter stabilizes. It just keeps you from damaging your truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about the hot tunes. It has different power levels compared to the standard tunes. Is the programs more aggressive with the hot tunes?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you change to tunes in the same family ie mild or hot damn then no relearn is required. relearn is only required when you do a complete tune install. switch on the fly does not require it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you change to tunes in the same family ie mild or hot damn then no relearn is required. relearn is only required when you do a complete tune install. switch on the fly does not require it
That is great. I was thinking you had to do the relearn everytime u switched on the fly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just bought the Black Maxx a few weeks ago from Performance Truck Products along with a few other things, and they hooked it up!! Best prices I have found by far when buying multiple items especially. Anyways, the H&S tunes are awesome!! I love the custom tranny tunes that allow different shift points. It has enabled me to get better fuel mileage based on the driving I do. The power is ridiculous, and I haven't even loaded the hot dam 300 series tunes yet!! The defuel parameters that you can pick are a nice peace of mind. It's like a rev limiter on different parameters such as EGT, boost, ect. I love it! I thoght it was worth the extra money to get the black maxx because I too plan on having my truck for a LONG time and I like to have the "good" stuff. (by no means am I saying the mini maxx is bad though!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts