Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked out my Glow Plug relay and it seems to be working. But the truck does not start. It went form starting easy to no start in one day. If I shoot some ether with wd40 it starts right up and runs with no problem, and will start for the rest of the day. Is there another relay that could be bad? I can't believe all my glow plugs would fail at the same time. I have 160,000 miles on it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
I have checked out my Glow Plug relay and it seems to be working. But the truck does not start. It went form starting easy to no start in one day. If I shoot some ether with wd40 it starts right up and runs with no problem, and will start for the rest of the day. Is there another relay that could be bad? I can't believe all my glow plugs would fail at the same time. I have 160,000 miles on it. Any ideas?
doubt it isglow plug related , make sure both batteries are good , make sure starter is spinning over good, make sure oil is full and in good condition, , may want to se if any codes will come up , have it checked for codes, and always diag before buying any parts

·
Registered
55 Posts
NO MORE ETHER!!

2 bad glow plugs can cause a hard start, 3 bad glow plugs can cause a no start.

To test the glow plugs remove the large rectangular plug leading to the valve covers on either side of the engine. This plug powers your glow plugs and injectors. The 2 outside pins are your glow plugs, the 4 inner ones are for the injectors. Make sure you test only the 2 outer pins on each side of the plug. Connect the ground lead of your voltmeter to a good ground, and insert the positive + test lead into the first glow plug pin.
A good glow plug will read btwn 0.8 - 1.2 ohms a weak glow plug will have much less resistance, and a completely dead one will have unlimited resistance through it because the electrode is internally burned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts