Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 7.3. And I just put a cold air intake 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler a ts 6 position chip and a blow off valve. Fun to drive but when I put my foot down It doesn't feel like I'm being pushed back into my seat like I should be any one know what eles I can do? It is the original trans. It's a strong pull but I just think it could be stronger that's really all.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I have a 2000 7.3. And I just put a cold air intake 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler a ts 6 position chip and a blow off valve. Fun to drive but when I put my foot down It doesn't feel like I'm being pushed back into my seat like I should be any one know what eles I can do? It is the original trans. It's a strong pull but I just think it could be stronger that's really all.
You drive an 8,000lb work truck built to haul. If you want to be "pressed into the seat", buy a mustang.

Why would you put a blow off valve onto a motor with no throttle plates? That makes no sense.

What kind of "cold air intake"? Why would you waste time and money on a cold air intake on an INTERCOOLED turbodiesel?

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
What kind of "cold air intake"? Why would you waste time and money on a cold air intake on an INTERCOOLED turbodiesel?
Because the intercooler only does so much. Cold air going into the intercooler gets cooler than hot air. Granted, you're not going to get colder than ambient temp, but 100* is better than 140*.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Because the intercooler only does so much. Cold air going into the intercooler gets cooler than hot air. Granted, you're not going to get colder than ambient temp, but 100* is better than 140*.
The IAT differences between cai/sri on an IC'd application are typically within 10* on the high side. Once you start moving, the 6637 or whatever sri intake would be receiving IAT charge from the incoming rushing air.

Plus, it's a truck... how you gonna do work with it if your worried about sucking water in.

The IC's in these trucks are huge. Running a 6637 filter over a pos "cai" will not run any worse.

·
Registered
185 Posts
First off a CAI, does lower the temp of intake air charge. They are usually high enough not to suck in water, unless off-roading. And 85 305 you have given some pretty bad advice on a couple threads, so I just had to say something... Back to the point. Jt, did you buy a blow off valve or a waste gate? What tunes do you have on your chip? How much boost are you making? Do you blow black smoke when you stand on it?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
First off a CAI, does lower the temp of intake air charge. They are usually high enough not to suck in water, unless off-roading. And 85 305 you have given some pretty bad advice on a couple threads, so I just had to say something... Back to the point. Jt, did you buy a blow off valve or a waste gate? What tunes do you have on your chip? How much boost are you making? Do you blow black smoke when you stand on it?
If you really think that a makes noticeable difference over say, a 6637 or afe, then you haven't been in the game very long. I have owned ridiculous amounts of turbo'd cars, supercharged, and a handful of turbodiesels. All of them intercooled minus the SC'd car. When you are driving down the road, underhood temps are damn near static temp. If you are 10* over static temp, your running hot. And lets pretend that we didn't have a gargantuan intercooler mounted to the front of the truck, supplied with 3" aluminum piping, sure... I could see your argument on a cai lowering intake temps.

i'd be tickled to have you show me where my bad advice is, since you must be quite good with these trucks?

·
Registered
805 Posts
305 is correct on this, the temp of the air coming out if the IC is the same wether the temp in the engine bay is hoter or cooler. Someone just did a write up on this proving that the temps are the same wether you have Cold Air Intake or just an open element filter under the hood.

Yes the temps were different AT THE FILTER but once cycled trought the IC the temps were exactly the same. Therefor a Cold Air Intake is worthless on our vehicles.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
305 is correct on this, the temp of the air coming out if the IC is the same wether the temp in the engine bay is hoter or cooler. Someone just did a write up on this proving that the temps are the same wether you have Cold Air Intake or just an open element filter under the hood.

Yes the temps were different AT THE FILTER but once cycled trought the IC the temps were exactly the same. Therefor a Cold Air Intake is worthless on our vehicles.
I've seen numerous tests on this, on all makes and models of diesels and the results have always been exactly as you stated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't see any reason to jump all over this guy because of what he installed. It's not like he is asking for your thoughts about his blow off valve. Sure a cold air intake isn't going to do much because of the turbo heating the air up anyway but maybe it flows better than his factory intake. I don't think anyone is going to argue that more airflow is better. So OP what tunes are you running and how much boost are you making at WOT? How hot are the EGT's? If you don't have gauges to monitor this then you next post should be something like "I sold my BOV and bought some gauges".

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I don't see any reason to jump all over this guy because of what he installed. It's not like he is asking for your thoughts about his blow off valve. Sure a cold air intake isn't going to do much because of the turbo heating the air up anyway but maybe it flows better than his factory intake. I don't think anyone is going to argue that more airflow is better. So OP what tunes are you running and how much boost are you making at WOT? How hot are the EGT's? If you don't have gauges to monitor this then you next post should be something like "I sold my BOV and bought some gauges".
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
my sons truck discussion

Hey we need some help please no ridicule. This truck had one owner and never abused,I hear all the time 7.3 running fast qt mile times. How can we get that kind of response? The ts chip is 50 75 100 140. Ithas pretty good throttle response but still lag and lots of black smoke. It seems like it needs more timing advance and less fuel. The lower settings run with a crisper throttle. What tuners run the best? Please we need good input.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey we need some help please no ridicule. This truck had one owner and never abused,I hear all the time 7.3 running fast qt mile times. How can we get that kind of response? The ts chip is 50 75 100 140. Ithas pretty good throttle response but still lag and lots of black smoke. It seems like it needs more timing advance and less fuel. The lower settings run with a crisper throttle. What tuners run the best? Please we need good input.
Thats why I keep asking what boost you are making. By the lack of an answer I suspect you don't have gauges. If thats true you need a good set of gauges asap. All of your test runs could be eating the engine alive. If you have no idea what EGTs you are getting then you need to stop until you can monitor it. You could be burning the motor up and not even know it. IMHO you need to get the BOV off the truck. It could be leaking and you arn't making any boost at all.

As far as timing goes I don't think you can adjust it on a 7.3 turbo diesel. That was on the idi. As far as fuel mixture is concerned you should be fine if you have stock injectors and that chip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
all gauges onboard.

Thats why I keep asking what boost you are making. By the lack of an answer I suspect you don't have gauges. If thats true you need a good set of gauges asap. All of your test runs could be eating the engine alive. If you have no idea what EGTs you are getting then you need to stop until you can monitor it. You could be burning the motor up and not even know it. IMHO you need to get the BOV off the truck. It could be leaking and you arn't making any boost at all.

As far as timing goes I don't think you can adjust it on a 7.3 turbo diesel. That was on the idi. As far as fuel mixture is concerned you should be fine if you have stock injectors and that chip.
Sorry I should of said,we are seeing 27lbs boost. Egt is climbing fast to 1300 and then get out of it. Stock injectors. Can custom chips be adjusted?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry I should of said,we are seeing 27lbs boost. Egt is climbing fast to 1300 and then get out of it. Stock injectors. Can custom chips be adjusted?
Yes you can have different tunes put on that chip. There are many different site sponsors and other vendors that can do it for you. Where are you getting your boost readings from? 30 psi on a stock turbo is getting close to the limit. Is this truck an auto or a manual?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
the trucks running fast 1/4 times (especially those that are 7.3's...) have a good $10,000 in mods into them. Or more.

If the truck has lots of black smoke, something is wrong. Your truck should hardly puff black smoke w/ the stock injectors.
More timing is horrible.. thats what throws rods. And to be frank, how much timing you get isn't up to you. beans, for instance, uses very little timing, but tends to put down the best hp/tq numbers, and the broadest power curves. Then other tuners, not mentioning names, tend to use a ton of timing, create noisy motors, and blow rods out that aren't upgraded over stock PMR's.

You can... theres several different types of timing on a powerstroke.. but all are adjusted through tunes. Like I stated above, many tuners give tons of noisy timing, some tuners pull timing and keep it minimal. Timing = blown rods. But I agree; the bov is useless and causing problems if anything.

Yes you can have different tunes put on that chip. There are many different site sponsors and other vendors that can do it for you. Where are you getting your boost readings from? 30 psi on a stock turbo is getting close to the limit. Is this truck an auto or a manual?
30psi on stock sticks seems like bs.

·
Registered
769 Posts
First of all let me say that prior to installing my WW I would se 30psi on stock sticks pretty regular on my 00, and after the WW I see 27 easy. Also my truck with no more than intake exhaust and php tunes will smoke with the best of them when you punch it off the bottom on the exteme tune.

To the op.... unless you are doing boosted launches in the 1/4 then you still have to wait for the turbo to build some boost which will allow for a delayed thrown back into the seat feeling. Same if you are just rolling along at driving speed and stand on it, You will still have to wait for the turbo to spool.

Auto or manual?

Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
My E99 has the DIY intake 4" turbo back and TS chip with factory tunes and it's hard for me to hit 20 psi. Now my truck is a 6 speed and I am not that hard on it so maybe thats why.

85_305 thanks for the heads up on the timing. Learn something new everyday.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
85_305 thanks for the heads up on the timing. Learn something new everyday.
No problem!

Oh, and to clarify.. some timing can be good. Advancing the timing gives better hp/tq, and better mpg's. But too much timing will also destroy rods, pop head gaskets, and cause a very noisy truck. There's a fine line on whats good/bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts