Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking in to putting a bov on my truck. I know some of the guys on here are going to say to research the forum i didn't find what i was looking for. Here is why i am looking in to putting one on... i did my pushrods and valve springs gained 2psi. Went and seen what its got at 3/4 throttle 27 lbs of boost 130 mph. When i let out all the pressure hit the tranny really hard. So i need another way of releasing the boost. I know they don't make vacuum.but what about the intake or the air intake. Help is much needed to figure this out. Sorry if any wierdly spelled words did this from my phone. Its got auto correct.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
what do you mean hit the tranny real hard? describe what your experiencing?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i let out of it and it was like the boost released and the pressure put a strain on it i guess you can say. I checked my intake for vacuum strength and it was really weak. Do the bov's require alot of vacuum? There may be slot under high boost but it probably releases pretty quick

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you have a stock turbo? With the mods you have a stock turbo will surge and bark when you put the hammer down

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya its a stock one. I am,makin like 460hp with it. I gotta do somethin i am gonna end up breaking something in the trans.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ya its a stock one. I am,makin like 460hp with it. I gotta do somethin i am gonna end up breaking something in the trans.
What size injectors do you have? Have you dyno'd at 460? unless you have some big stage 2s you are no where near that. I have 180/100 and with a 38r I'd still only be around 450.

The stage 2s will kill the stock turbo very quick. You have no need for a BOV, just get a bigger turbo. Even a van turbo. There is nothing "hitting your tranny" unless you are feeling the tc being locked and slowing the truck. Put a vb and tc in the tranny to help it live. It's not if, it's when you kill it running stage 2s on a stock trans with no upgrades.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are 200cc's i believe. Van turbo? How much bigger is that?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
what do you mean hit the tranny real hard? describe what your experiencing?
ya... wtf

No your not. Sorry, that dinky stock turbo isn't making anywhere near 460whp.

There is nothing "hitting your tranny" unless you are feeling the tc being locked and slowing the truck. .
My money is on this. When these trucks' tc's are locked, they are basically in direct-drive and every time you touch the throttle, its like engaging the clutch in a manual, and every time you let off, it pulls the clutch off. So it can be rigid.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? And you know everything i have done to my truck? I added 200 hp when i did my mods. I just up graded the heads. Making even more boost now. I have not even put it in the race tune yet.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Really? And you know everything i have done to my truck? I added 200 hp when i did my mods. I just up graded the heads. Making even more boost now. I have not even put it in the race tune yet.
nope I dont. But I know your stock garett will NEVER make 450whp.

You upgraded your heads? What kind of upgrades?

Sorry, but your story is smelling like yesterdays dump :thumb:

I digress, we're getting off topic here. A blow off valve wont do anything for your truck since you have no throttle plates to slap shut, and no vacuum to control it.

YES, I KNOW that you can "make it work".. but why? It serves no purpose on a diesel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Micheal, you just needa get a full built tranny and screw the bov lol. Forward Motion in Homer does a hell of a good tranny job, know Aaron really well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And ya you can make that with a stock turbo by doing the mods to it. But its not safe. I put the comp cams springs and smith brothers push rods. Gained 2psi in my street tune and not sure about my race tune. Stock is 227 hp added the mods another 200hp = 427 hp. Now what ever the extra boost power adds. I guessed another 20-30 horse. And tyrexs i am tryin to make it last till i get the cash for one. I was tryin to take some pressure out of the system when i let out. But i was tryin to do it with out spending 600 on one. Guess i will mod my other turbo i have at home ant put it on maybe it will help. I will just get the body work done on it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
And ya you can make that with a stock turbo by doing the mods to it. But its not safe. I put the comp cams springs and smith brothers push rods. Gained 2psi in my street tune and not sure about my race tune. Stock is 227 hp added the mods another 200hp = 427 hp. Now what ever the extra boost power adds. I guessed another 20-30 horse. And tyrexs i am tryin to make it last till i get the cash for one. I was tryin to take some pressure out of the system when i let out. But i was tryin to do it with out spending 600 on one. Guess i will mod my other turbo i have at home ant put it on maybe it will help. I will just get the body work done on it.
stage II's and a chip will NOT give you 450whp... especially not on the stock turbo. People making 450whp have upgraded turbos.

Comp cams springs do NOTHING for horsepower, push rods do NOTHING for horsepower (and neither will give you more boost....).

Why would you add 200hp to 227 hp?!?! This isn't making sense to me. If you've never dynoed, dont pretend to know the hp.

And you never answered my question; since our diesels dont have throttle plates to slam shut, what purpose would a bov serve on them?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't know as much as you think you do. You increase the seat pressure thus holding the valves tighter so on boosted applications they don't open the valves to soon. That happening it makes more boost. And the bov would let the excess boost out instead of blowing back through the turbo..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds to me like someone reads the bs in the diesel mags to much. You go ahead and tell my buddy makin 1000+ hp in his car that valve springs don't do anything he will laugh in your face.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You don't know as much as you think you do. You increase the seat pressure thus holding the valves tighter so on boosted applications they don't open the valves to soon. That happening it makes more boost. And the bov would let the excess boost out instead of blowing back through the turbo..
No, sunny. Unfortunatly thats not true. You want higher seat pressure so that you dont float valves in high hp/high rpm applications. Has NOTHING to do with producing boost.

Do you know wtf a bov is used for? A bov is used when the throttle plates are slammed shut suddenly, causing chaos within the turbo. Since a diesel DOESN'T HAVE THROTTLE PLATES, how do you think this serves any purpose for you? You still haven't answered the $1,000,000 question.

Sounds to me like someone reads the bs in the diesel mags to much. You go ahead and tell my buddy makin 1000+ hp in his car that valve springs don't do anything he will laugh in your face.
thats funny... I've never, ever, once even bought a diesel mag. I've paged thru them maybe twice while at the grocery store and bored waiting for somebody to finish shopping.

you go ahead and tell your buddy that if the really thinks putting valve springs on his car gave him horsepower, to quit thinking and keep letting the local performance shop build up his car.

Go put your truck on a dyno, then come back and we'll talk.

Dude, all you have are some bellowed up pipes, a damn chip, and stage 2's. Your looking at 380whp at the absolute higest, assuming those stage II's aren't destroying all your high pressure oil and knocking those numbers down even further.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No **** dumb ***. I never said they made hp. You must be illiterate. I said the purpose it would serve for me. Not repeating my self. And yes higher seat pressure does help hold the boost. This is why i don't like asking questions on here. Because with retards like you it just becomes a pissing match. With someone such as your self that thinks they know it all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Way too much Cummins math goin on here :what: :banghead:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts