Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see who does basement pump outs?

I thought it was odd a couple years after I joined my dept, a guy came into our station and asked us to come pump out his basement, he said he had 2 feet of water and it was still coming in. One of the Lt's came over and told him that the Fire Dept doesn't do that, that he would have to wait till morning and talk to the Water Dept. The guy looked like he had been shot, just in disbelief. I asked if the Dept had ever pumped out basements, the Lt said back in the 60s and early 70s, but after losing a couple of pumps the chiefs finally said no more.
Apparently in my town the water dept handles all the pump outs and at a pretty steep fee, its not a courteous thing for them. And after finding out that every other town around us does them, I was kinda shocked.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm in south west Florida so we dont have any basments but I just thought this was interesting. Do you guys just pull a draft and let it go somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No clue really, I've seen other fire depts after lots of rain, they'll be outside someone's house with a pump blowing water into the street, and has hose running through basement window.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We do pump basement pump outs using either sump pumps or gas powered trash pumps. We don't drop hard sleeves in the basements to pull draft. We may use the Brush Truck with skid unit to do the pump outs but not the Engines.

Pump outs is nothing more than a Salvage Call. Usually will get nice donation after the fact.:woot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts