Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...

...just thought i would add my comments on the PullRite receiver hitches (PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you). I have been pulling various iterations of trailers for over 20 years. Everything from hay wagons to flatbeds, to Uhauls, to military 5ton tractor/trailer combos coming in over 80,000 pounds. Until this weekend, I had yet to get infront of a PullRite for any real seat time. In case you are wondering what hitch i am discussing...

...that is it. That pic is random from the internet and as you can see below, the add-on sway control (on the trailer) is NOT necessary. That pic was for reference only on how it installs under the truck. Here are the details from the website...

PullRite Trailer Towing System

The PullRite eliminates sway! Using no add-on sway controls the PullRite operates like an upside-down 5th wheel, pulling your standard travel trailer from a point immediately behind the axle housing (“A”). How can this be?

The PullRite’s ball mount has no moving parts, consequently, when the equalizing bars are fit into the ball mount, the side-to-side movement is locked out, so the trailer can no longer pivot on the ball (“B”).

Using a draw bar that, in effect, extends the trailer tongue, the turning action is forced into motion at a point directly behind the axle (“A”). With the turning action at the axle and no movement at the ball (“B”), side pressures (18 wheelers, wind) merely "try to push the vehicle sideways, steering is not affected so sway can not occur.

So, we just returned from a near 1400 mile roundtrip coming out of the california bay area to Phoenix. There were 2 trucks pulling 2 race cars, one with the PullRite system and one with the standard 2" receiver hitch and (unknown brand) add-on sway control.

The difference was amazing. It was most pronounced at highway speeds (over 55mph). I was able to run into ~85mph before really feeling the trailer whereas the other was pretty well restricted to ~65 with the winds we were dealing with thru the Palm Desert valley.

The only (other than price) downside is that in cornering, it stays much closer than i am used to from a standard hitch. Theres a bridge abutment in Phoenix that almost had my name all over it :doh:

Long story short, i was in the process of finding a good anti-sway system and have abandonded that search and will be contacing PullRite in the morning to find an authorized installer!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
wow, those are pricey if they sell at msrp, but if you are doing lots of towing I think it could be justified if it is as good as you say (not that I'm doubting you).

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that setup before though.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
That looks very interesting, haven’t seen anything like it. If it works it would be a pretty neat looking setup. Only thing is I could nearly buy a 25’ gooseneck deckover trailer brand new for what that thing costs. If they get the price down from around $2,500 to closer to $250 then it might be a consideration for me. Pretty interesting read though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts