Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now i don't think it's TOO hard to do. but i just wanted to make sure.
how do i take it out? lol i need to clean it cause it's a mess. never have.
i know how to do the intercooler tubes and intake tube. but what else should i and should i not remove?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Diconnect it at the turbo (v-band clamp) on edit:I forgot to say...do this last, and don't lose the o-ring.:D
Disconnect the IC tubes (blue or black boots)
Disconnect the intake boots going to the intake plenums (orange)
Remove wire from AIH
Remove AIH sensor (wire clip)
Remove MAP line
Remove wastegate line (red)

I think that's it. Thats all I can remember. It's easy, it comes out in a matter of minutes. Clean it up good, do a CCV reroute while youre in there to keep it clean and spray a little hairspray on the spider where the boots go on. It will help keep them from blowing off :thumb:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
its pretty simple and straight forward. . . just unbolt what looks like needs to be unbolted :thumb:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diconnect it at the turbo (v-band clamp) on edit:I forgot to say...do this last, and don't lose the o-ring.:D
Disconnect the IC tubes (blue or black boots)
Disconnect the intake boots going to the intake plenums (orange)
Remove wire from AIH
Remove AIH sensor (wire clip)
Remove MAP line
Remove wastegate line (red)

I think that's it. Thats all I can remember. It's easy, it comes out in a matter of minutes. Clean it up good, do a CCV reroute while youre in there to keep it clean and spray a little hairspray on the spider where the boots go on. It will help keep them from blowing off :thumb:
ok figured that was mostly it. i didn't wanna do much more lol

yea i already did the ccv mod and cleaned the other IC boots AND the intercooler itself. inside and out. just didn't get to this part
now i didn't put anything on the boots when i put em back on last time. and we pulled a travel trailer for 4k miles and i'm pretty sure i was hittin boost i never hit before and they stayed on fine

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and what should i plug the intakes with? i would think some shop rags would be ok but i dont' know. don't wanna get somethin bad in there from something so simple

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Yeah you don't need to do the hairspray thing, just kind of one of those preventative maintenance things. You prolly won't push enough air with the stock turbo for it to be a problem.

A clean rag will be fine for protection if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah you don't need to do the hairspray thing, just kind of one of those preventative maintenance things. You prolly won't push enough air with the stock turbo for it to be a problem.

A clean rag will be fine for protection if it makes you feel better.
I've blown my boots off with the stock turbo. Do the hairspray. There is no reason not to. It will take you 2 seconds and will save you a headache down the road.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've blown my boots off with the stock turbo. Do the hairspray. There is no reason not to. It will take you 2 seconds and will save you a headache down the road.
yea i mean i guess it wouldn't hurt.
but you've got bigger injectors don't you?
i've got all stock. just the DIY intake and the Walker BTM

·
Registered
489 Posts
I blew them off a long time before I put the injectors in. It happened after I did the foil delete mod. I pulled off both intercooler tubes to clean them.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang. wonder why i haven't blown one off. i pulled both tubes, the IC, and all the boots off completely except for the ones on the heads

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i got it pulled off. a few questions. the AIH isn't necessary right? unless maybe you idle for a long time.
and how do you delete it? just put a plug in a disconnect the wires at the relays too?
and if i want it back in, what is that little piece between the connectors on the wires and the spider? almost looked ceramic. i thought i dropped it in the valley but i can't find it.
AND that Oring from the turbo to the spider, it doesn't need to be replaced each time you pull it off right?
thanks guys

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I didnt replace the O-ring last time I changed mine but thats because I didnt have a spare.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
well i got it pulled off. a few questions. the AIH isn't necessary right? unless maybe you idle for a long time.
and how do you delete it? just put a plug in a disconnect the wires at the relays too?

just leave the wires unpluged and yes just unthread it and place a plug in the hole.
and if i want it back in, what is that little piece between the connectors on the wires and the spider? almost looked ceramic. i thought i dropped it in the valley but i can't find it.

as for that ceramic piece it goes inbtween your ground wire and the spider without the AIH connected i dont think that ground is even necessary but i'm not sure. . .
AND that Oring from the turbo to the spider, it doesn't need to be replaced each time you pull it off right?
thanks guys
heres my ten characters.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heres my ten characters.
thanks clif. of course once i posted that i finally found the AIH delete mod. and of course didn't need to ask those questions :doh:
dieselsite sells a plug and has the best definition so far that i've seen about when it works and what it does

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Buy the one tapped for the boost fitting. This is a good place to get your boost readings from if you get gauges :thumb: If you just get the reg. plug you can always just drill/tap it to receive the boost line later if you want to though.

The o-ring is reusable BTW. :nod:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sweet
well i got some random drain plug from autozone yesterday and it worked. 7 bucks compared to the 11 i saw online. got my spider back on BUT i've got a tear in an IC boot that goes between the spider and an IC tube. so gotta wait till monday. also did the foil delete. soaking it in some soapy water after getting the insulation off makes using the wire wheel easier. now i just gotta polish em up with a sanding wheel.
also building myself an intake box.
also replacing the driver door check cause it broke years ago
now if only i got paid for working on my own truck...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am going to post the stupid question: What do all of these different mods do, and are they specific to certain setups? i.e. I am in a 6 speed truck. not an auto.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the transmission isn't really the determining factor. what engine do you have

1 - 20 of 22 Posts