Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2008 F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out for a weekend camping trip and truck decides it has other plans for us. 6.4 deleted, mini max tuner running tyrant tunes (in tow mode at the time) running along just fine when all of a sudden truck starts missing, shuddering pretty bad. Almost felt like a blowout on the tire shuddering so bad, looked in passenger mirror and noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Pull over and shut it off, popped the hood and nothing amiss so I start it back up and still no good power. Limped to the next exit in the shoulder lane (about 2 miles) and checked the code on the tuner and had P0266 #2 cylinder contribution/balance code. I'm assuming fuel injector failure while waiting to hear from local mechanics diagnosis. Any ideas what I'm looking at in repair bill if my diagnosis is correct, or any other guesses what could be the issue?

·
Registered
383 Posts
i dont know if this is related at all and i could be way off and mine did somthinge similar but would not crank and it was a trashed flex plate and torqu converter

i really need to start looking at dates lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really need to start looking at dates lol
Why do you say you need to look at dates? Just posted today. But mine would start and drive still. Just lacking power and code suggests fuel issue. But thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i got mixed up on your joining date brain fart

that sucks going through that at the moment myself. looking at

gutting it and updating all of mine with aftermarket

·
Registered
9 Posts
Judging off your description sounds like a cracked piston. Hope it’s an injector for you but I’d go ahead prepare your self for the worst case

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Judging off your description sounds like a cracked piston. Hope it’s an injector for you but I’d go ahead prepare your self for the worst case
Ugh. That’s kinda what I was thinking too. Fully expecting the worst while hoping for the best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay....here is the latest although not the final answer. Number 2 cylinder will not build up over 90lbs of pressure on a pressure test while the other 3 in the bank will build up to 300lbs. Mechanic is getting ready to remove the cab and remove the heads to see if its valves/head or cracked piston. He is going to remove the heads on both sides while he is in there and here is my options. I'm looking for suggestions from the experts....If its valves and head work only, he is recommending that I go ahead and do ARP head studs and replace all 8 injectors while he has it torn down. Labor and parts for all this is gonna end up around $8400. Is there anything else I should do while in there to try and eliminate the need for another costly repair down the road? Or is this doing more than necessary? Keep in mind the truck is an 08 Lariat with 167000 miles in extremely good shape cosmetically and physically other than this most recent incident. I'm thinking that this money is far less than a new/er truck would cost with potentially the same problems in the future. Also regarding head studs; is there anything comparable to the ARP's for less money? Don't hold anything back... let me hear anything and everything good and bad about this option and if there is more needing to be done. Thanks....Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$8400 😳 crazy bs mechanics charge for stuff on these things
Yeah it seems as if Ford designed these trucks to where the average joe can’t or don’t have the means to do major repairs. Almost anything fairly major requires cab off and removal of dam near every engine component. Makes for some big labor costs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it seems as if Ford designed these trucks to where the average joe can’t or don’t have the means to do major repairs. Almost anything fairly major requires cab off and removal of dam near every engine component. Makes for some big labor costs.
He wants to use injectors from Jasper engines and they are $375 each x 8 is $3000 alone, head studs around $600, head machining and valves is who knows how much, oil, filter, fuel filter change afterward. Labor to remove cab, take it all apart and then put it back together. It is a pretty big job. Regarding injectors, I have found cheaper but not sure on quality so didn’t argue much about using the higher priced ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay....here is the latest although not the final answer. Number 2 cylinder will not build up over 90lbs of pressure on a pressure test while the other 3 in the bank will build up to 300lbs. Mechanic is getting ready to remove the cab and remove the heads to see if its valves/head or cracked piston. He is going to remove the heads on both sides while he is in there and here is my options. I'm looking for suggestions from the experts....If its valves and head work only, he is recommending that I go ahead and do ARP head studs and replace all 8 injectors while he has it torn down. Labor and parts for all this is gonna end up around $8400. Is there anything else I should do while in there to try and eliminate the need for another costly repair down the road? Or is this doing more than necessary? Keep in mind the truck is an 08 Lariat with 167000 miles in extremely good shape cosmetically and physically other than this most recent incident. I'm thinking that this money is far less than a new/er truck would cost with potentially the same problems in the future. Also regarding head studs; is there anything comparable to the ARP's for less money? Don't hold anything back... let me hear anything and everything good and bad about this option and if there is more needing to be done. Thanks....Steve
I had the same diagnosis, about the lack of lbs, in the number 8 cylinder, turned out the piston was oval shaped. Hello short block.

·
Administrator
21,972 Posts
this is a 6.4 truck, I wouldn't replace all of the injectors.
Are we going to ignore the fact that this is not the most reliable truck?

Fix the problem and inspect all the harnesses

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The repair price is up to you. As Heavy said this is a 6.4, you could dump $9k into it and in a week later have more issues that will cost you more coin to fix. Not sure I'd trust Jasper injectors either, I'd go with quality if you don't want this to happen again..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is a 6.4 truck, I wouldn't replace all of the injectors.
Are we going to ignore the fact that this is not the most reliable truck?

Fix the problem and inspect all the harnesses
I was thinking the exact same thing when I posted about the injectors (not even showing an issue) being $3000 alone. I have decided pending inspection of the piston in cylinder 2, to fix what needs fixed and go ahead with the head studs and put her back together. These things are like a ticking time bomb, but as mentioned, its in really good shape for its age and other than replacing turbo up pipes recently, I haven't had any major issues or costs with it in the 54000 miles I've had it. Part of me wants to get it back running and try and sell it, but who knows what I'd replace it with. I have a 7000lb camper I pull so love having a diesel to pull it, but hate the constant feeling of wondering what catastrophic failure I may get on the next trip. Can't justify a fairly new diesel expense, and have around $22000 invested in this one and paid for, so guess its cheaper to keep her and swallow the financial hits as they come.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, Got the dreaded bad news this afternoon. As mentioned above, I have a cracked piston. No idea on availability of used engine out of a wrecked truck nor the price on either that or a rebuilt engine. I'm wondering what I could expect my truck to sell for as it sits. Oh and he wasn't done with bad news after the piston part; "you also have a turbo with bad seals, leaking oil into the exhaust". How he didn't notice this 6 months ago when he replaced the turbo up pipes is beyond me but thats another conversation altogether. I need some advice/suggestions on what I should set as a threshold for the decision to put the engine and turbo in or scrap it and find another truck. I'm thinking $10,000 is my max investment but thats probably not even possible. Thoughts/Suggestions anyone thats walked in these shoes?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
My 2c. You have already hit your threshold. Sell it and use the $15k you’re about to spend on a down payment on a nice used 6.7, or gas for that matter.

Imho. 6.4 are nice trucks, I had one for a toy. I really liked that truck. I was lucky, never an issue.

These 6.4 should come with a warning label.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts