Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 350 developed a pinging or clacking noise coming from one of the pulleys. Belt is not cracked but still I sprayed dressing and noise considerably lessens but gets worse after time. I am going to change belt first but thought maybe someone could maybe help. I've thought of changing tensioner. Any suggestions will be helpful. thanks

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
The tensioners are known to go bad. Can you pinpoint it to the tensioner pulley? If so i would just replace it. If it goes bad, it'll seize and spit the belt which might take out a radiator hose and leave you sittin on the side of the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to tell, me and mech friend listened but couldn't tell. I know its probably minor fix just thought I would ask before replacing parts. I had 97 years ago and clocked over 300 k on her and never experienced same noise. Appreciate the knowledge!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may sound goofy but I had this problem on my 96. to me it sounded like it was the vaccuum pump. But whats wierd is I noticed my truck leaking coolant at t-stat flange. When I sealed and stopped the leak the noise went away. Also the truck was low on coolant. When I refilled it the engine seemed more balanced and the sound went away. Then a couple days later the water pump went out. Changed it and no more noise.

Just something to look at.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Take the belt off and spin/wiggle all the pulleys. You will find the culprit.. I have had the tensioner pulley and both idler pulleys go bad. Last time was the idler pulley to the far left, plastic pulley, and when it broke, it shredded the belt and part of it got stuck in the fan clutch causing it to loosen and come off.. Luckily when stopped the fan was sitting there and the radiator wasn't damaged. Whew... The funny thing is that we noticed the noise, pinpointed it down to that pulley and the very next day after I ordered the part, it broke.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had a similar sound before the vacum pump went out on my OBS....PITA it died in the middle of nowhere and the pully was ****ed so I couldnt even throw on my spare belt and limp her home :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts