Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive had my truck for 5 months and since i got it, its puked. When i bought it, it had been to ford and got a new egr cooler/ oil cooler and the head gaskets checked. it still pukes. Plugged the sct into it to see what the ect was, it will go up to 214 when im getting on it then will go back to 200-205 cruising. so i called ST. Joe Diesel and they said try a thermostat. still runs hot, pukes and the fan always comes on... any thoughts?

·
Retired Soldier!
218 Posts
Do you have your coolant filled to the add line or full line in the degas bottle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when its cold its at the sticker on the side of the bottle if im adding it, but i havent added any lately and it still does it

·
Retired Soldier!
218 Posts
The full mark is at the add mark on the bottle. I would try a new cap, mine was allowing coolant to blow by. Not much for one of these.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just did a cap last week. new thermostat yesterday and it still does it. im still concerned about the 214 ect. my friend has a 03 6.0 and it stays at 190-192 if its to the floor

·
Retired Soldier!
218 Posts
Have you had the radiator checked?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Retired Soldier!
218 Posts
Look at the base of your radiator (on the grille side for the fins being blocked) and if that is clear you can take it to a radiator shop to have it rodded. It is usually about 50 bucks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
DO YOU BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THIS TRUCK SCOTTIE?!?!?!?!??!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
854 Posts
Mine has had similar problems the last 6 months. Cap, thermostat, had radiator rodded (the bottom 3 rows of tubes were pretty gunked up) and still overheating. Took it to a local place that works on powerstrokes very regularly and he did an exhaust gas test. BINGO... Is your degas bottle stained to where you can hardly read the level from the exterior of the bottle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its stained pretty good. i can still see thru it and see where the antifreeze is at

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well... did the cap and thermostat a couple weeks ago, put a new degas bottle on to make sure it wasnt leaking around the neck and still pukes. the tech at ford said it could be my oil cooler and it would be $115 an hour to check everything, so i got the snap-on scanner and checked ect and eot my self. when i get on it the ect goes to 220 and the eot will hit 225, then cruising around ect is 208 and oil temp is 215. could this be oil cooler? like i said, they claimed to replace the oil cooler and egr cooler at 135,000 miles now i have 152,000 on it. suuuure hope its not gaskets

since i had the scanner i checked codes... #2 glow plug is bad. the FICM reads 47.5 volts, no misfires, everything else looks good!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read your posts.... I have a 05 6.0 with 120 k on it. I have the same situation going on..I have done egr delete, oil cooler, checked the water pump. Changed the turbo ( that was going bad as well). My ect will run 210 if im flooring it hard long enough. I also think my temps are running too high.
Further more, I've been running a banks economind w the iq and speedbrake. On levels 5 and 6 I will puke just by flooring it. I towed a small load the other night and I also puked a bit with it on stock. I was told that with it on the higher levels there's too much timing with that tuner. Time to change. But on stock towing I hit 224 ect and 222 eot. Its almost like my fan( which was replaced 2 mos ago as well) isnt being kicked on as well as should be...any thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so after all the overheating, talking to ford, talking to St Joe Diesel and Pro Diesel, ive come up with a conclusion. i pressure tested the truck today, it stayed at 16 psi while building boost. Now im going to replace the oil cooler and install an egr delete.

Parts so far:

HPOP Screen- 3C3Z-6C683-AB
STC Fitting with IPR Rebuild- 4C3Z-9B246-F

waiting on...

turbo drain tube
fuel pressure reg. rebuild kit

got to buy...

4 gallons coolant
4 gallons oil
oil filter
fuel filters
coolant system flush
EGR delete and oil cooler

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
put the pressure tester on the degas bottle, this tells if the gaskets r blown. if it goes up as u build boost they r blown. if not blown, it doesnt move pressure

·
Registered
751 Posts
hey scottie have you joined the kansas ch yet?

·
Registered
270 Posts
According to your posted temps, you don't have an oil cooler issue. The ECT/EOT delta is 15 degrees or less, yours was only 5 to 7.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts