Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, i took my truck to Dorian of Powerstroke Engenuities last week resigned to the fact that I had head problems. I was ready to leave the truck there and drop some bucks yet again on the truck. I explained to Dorian the symptoms and he agreed that it sounded like a gasket problem, but he wanted to drive the truck first. We had already come to a very fair price and made arrangements for me to leave the truck with him. But he insisted on driving the truck. We did a couple of test drives and he determined that my problem was that my degas cap was not venting properly at 16 psi. He told me to get a new cap and sent me on my way. He worked with me for an hour but refused to take any money. He was very honest and straightforward an saved me megabucks. He could have very easily taken advantage of the situation but he didnt. Very impressed with him and his business. Hats off to Dorian and PSE!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, his web page is
psehouston.com

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, very refreshing. I know where I am taking the truck for any future maintenance.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,147 Posts
Hope it works out for you, but a bad cap will not CAUSE a pressure spike. Something caused the spike (the fact that it did not vent properly is a secondary issue).

A proper functioning engine will not generate over 16 psig in the degas bottle - even if you had a solid plug in the degas bottle opening.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A properly functioning engine running a hot tune will spike the pressure. Check out the faq sheet for the EDAS at powerstrokehelp.com. One of the faqs is " why does my EDAS keep going off running a hot tune?" the answer pretty much explains it.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
This was after a couple WOT runs on extreme race tune from
I.D. and thank you sir for the write up. We are here to help our fellow Strokers, not leave them broke.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,147 Posts
A properly functioning engine running a hot tune will spike the pressure. Check out the faq sheet for the EDAS at powerstrokehelp.com. One of the faqs is " why does my EDAS keep going off running a hot tune?" the answer pretty much explains it.....
I do not have much respect for PSH.com, so we will let it go at that - just too many mistakes in the propaganda.

I do not have Erics extreme race tune, but I run Matts SRL+ and it does not spike more that 2 psig (12 psig max). I admit I have not done any more than 2 back-to-back WOT runs w/ the tune.

I understand the concept of liquid expansion and the impact on pressure as the vapor space is compressed. Maybe Eric's tune is that much hotter than Gearhead's .............. but that would surprise me it it were. Now if you run the degas level at or above the max, I can see it happening due to the limited vapor space.

As I said - I wish you well. Anyway - it is good to have honest shops around.

·
Premium Member
22,916 Posts
Good stuff.:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.