Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post here and I am hoping you can help, I volunteer with a ambulance/fire service here in Canada and we had a 1996 E350 7.3 PSD Ambulance donated to us, when I went and looked at it initially it was running okay but when we picked it up it had troubles staying running and very low power once we brought it back to our yard it died and we have since been able to get it to start again.

We suspected along with a mechanic that helps out from time to time with us, that the last owners tried to do us a favor and fill the tanks for us with gasoline we immediately drained the tanks and filled it with fresh diesel it started up fine and ran great for about 5 mins to which it just died like it ran out of fuel again.

The two or three times we did try to start it on the bad fuel mixture it would kick over and try to start but now it just cranks endlessly. I have read lots of posts on here so I will try to eliminate as many of the common problems we have tried already...

WTS light comes on...
APCM shows RPM of around 200-300 during cranking
All 4 Battery's show voltage of >11.5v when cranking
HPOP has oil in reservoir
Fuses in distribition block and under the dash have been checked.

Unfortunately I don't have a code reader and our storage yard is a ways away from our mechanics shop and we are trying to avoid the hefty tow bill as due to the weight of the ambulance only larger commercial tow trucks will touch it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If you can test the fuel pressure from the supply pump. As it sounds to me like the fuel pump maybe bad.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
maybe fuel filters also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can test the fuel pressure from the supply pump. As it sounds to me like the fuel pump maybe bad.
This is low pressure supply pump located on the driver side frame rails? whats the best way to test it, just disconnect the line past the pump into a bucket?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
theres a 7.3 bible somewhere on here im sure someone has a link, i have never found mine yet

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
the 7.3s fuel filter is on top of the motor, it is a round bowl, the lid screws off and out comes filter. very very easy.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
hmm even i came away with something i havent been able to find it and its been infront of my face the whole time :doh:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
where you from Tacmedic?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts