Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 2 - 285 lb. propane tanks. I plan to use one of them for heating / filtering WVO, the other will become my processor. How do I figure out how many liquid gallons a 285 lb. tank will hold?

Also, how do I figure out what type of element to use?
Do they come in different heat ranges?
Can you use multiple elements, as long as they are below the oil level?
Would it be easier to wire them if I just found an old HWH, and stripped out all of the electronics?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I think a 100# cylinder is about 24-25 gallons of propane. I believe tanks are filled with 80% liquid propane. So I will let you do the math:lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would mean that they can hold about 71 gallons. Are you sure thats the right formula? I am comparing it to my 80 gallon air compressor, and the propane tanks look quite a bit larger?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I will do the math one sec:thumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missed that 80% thing - my bad!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recalculated - came up with about 89 gallons, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I'm probably wrong!

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I think a 100# cylinder is about 24-25 gallons of propane. I believe tanks are filled with 80% liquid propane. So I will let you do the math:lol:
Okay using 24 as a number of 80% full 100% would be around 30 gallons on a 100 pounder. So 30 gallons x 2.85 is 85 gallons if my math is close hahaha

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I beleive I did it the same way, I just used 25. Thanks for the help!

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
You bet:thumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K. - my buddy (who owns the propane co. that gave me the tanks) just got back to me. I didn't quite understand what the hell he was saying, but on the neck of the tanks they list the TWC # - that stands for total water content, and that # is 1000 lbs. That means that when absolutly full, the tanks will hold 1000 lbs. of water. That means that, at 8 lbs. a gallon, they will hold 125 gallons.

Now that I know the capacity, can anyone help me out on my heating element requirements? Do I just look for an element out of a 125 gallon HWH?
If I can find the element, what else do I need to make it run properly? I know I need a t-stat, but theres more to it than that, right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew it wasn't exactly 8 lbs. per gallon, I just didn't know exactly what it was. So that puts me at 120 gallons.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
O.K. - my buddy (who owns the propane co. that gave me the tanks) just got back to me. I didn't quite understand what the hell he was saying, but on the neck of the tanks they list the TWC # - that stands for total water content, and that # is 1000 lbs. That means that when absolutly full, the tanks will hold 1000 lbs. of water. That means that, at 8 lbs. a gallon, they will hold 125 gallons.

Now that I know the capacity, can anyone help me out on my heating element requirements? Do I just look for an element out of a 125 gallon HWH?
If I can find the element, what else do I need to make it run properly? I know I need a t-stat, but theres more to it than that, right?
A water heater element can be bought for 9-10 bucks at any hardware store. I don't know about a T Stat but you don't have to have one if you just put a timer on the heating element and set it for 4-6 hours depending on how cold the oil is to start with. In winter it takes longer to heat it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts