Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got my box of goodies from Retrofit source. I did take all the parts out of the boxes today and I can tell you that they look like high quality stuff. The packaging is very nice, everything is labeled nicely, and they provide separate instructions for each different item you purchased. Not to mention they have tutorials on their website offering advice for different installs. Their customer service with my initial purchase was on point, compared to some other places I've purchased products. You will definitely pay more for what you buy from them as opposed to buying from eBay, but take it from me the stuff from eBay is all junk and the customer service goes hand in hand. I've spent more money returning things that were either incorrect or didn't work than if I would have just spent the extra money buying form a company like TRS.

I did test out the LED Angel Eyes they sent me and HOLY $h!t they are bright! I also got some LED side view strips to put in the headlight housings. It's gonna be a pretty interesting install and I'm expecting it to look pretty [email protected]$$ once it's all said and done. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.:D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out the glue was in the bottom of the box. They put a piece of cardboard on top of it to secure it and foam peanuts on top of that. Guess I can start this project next week.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Sweet, I am excited to watch! I was about go tell you to look in the bottom of the box lol. Post step by step pics, hopefully after a while there will be a few retrofit threads around here for people to use as guides. Can't wait to see how yours come out. One thing I wish I would've done is use the "jnc method" for perfecting rotational adjustment for the projectors. Search that on hidplanet.com, that will let you adjust them so that they are down to the T on alignment.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did you use on the back of the shroud to seal up between the projector and the hole you cut?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
I used jb weld, other have used quick steel too

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
:popcorn:
Pics of goodies?!?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to get some pics posted up tmrw. I'm taking my time here and doing as much research as I can before I start this project. I don't have a second set of lights so my project will need to be done in a day or two. That being said I'm trying to make sure I do all my research first so I know exactly what I want to do and how I'm going to do it. Considering the JNC method and painting those brackets black along with the shroud. The only thing about that JNC is those ugly brackets. The Angel Eye LED rings are really bright, and I am trying to get an idea of how I want to mount the LED strips I got.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
The shroud hides the brackets. I have a set of headlights for sale too if you'd like to buy them. Just let me know

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah, dont screw it up!! lol

Those are very bright! Nice.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Yeah don't screw it up lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoping I wont.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
How's it going? Are you painting the bezel and reflectors? On mine I thought it'd be better to wet sand all the chrome off, after priming and painting the it orange peeled on me. On the other headlight I just applied the primer with out wet sanding- that light didn't orange peel on me. It wasn't a bad peel, but it peeled on me

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up some plastic spray paint in black and a can of clear coat. The can says it doesn't need priming so I wasn't going to prime it. Although I was thinking of a 1500 grit sand befor hand to scuff it up. I think I've got all my supplies to get this project going now. I'm going to do one headlight at a time so that in the event I don't finish it in a day or two, I can still drive the truck even if it's only with one light for a day or two.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cracked open one of my headlights tonight, the passenger side. Thing has been getting water in it and I discovered about .25" of standing water in the bottom. Got it all apart and dried out, now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. The chrome finish on the reflector started to wear off from the moisture and it's revealing a shiny black color underneath which I believe is the original color of the plastic before it's sprayed with the chrome finish. I found a thread where someone used oven cleaner to remove the chrome finish and get to the base black color. If I can get to that color and it looks good I won't even bother painting it so I don't have to worry about peeling or anything.

I have been toying with the idea of adding individual LED's to the yellow reflector after I paint it black, and using them as DRL's. I found these suckers online, but they are a bit pricey and out of stock. Makes me want to find another dealer and order them cause I think it would look pretty [email protected]$$ once it's said and done.My thoughts were to remove the bulb from the little side marker light that is behind the reflector and wire up 4-5 of these led's to that power source. That way I wouldn't have to drill any more holes in the headlight housing to run the wires.

6K WHITE DIY 3W LED DRL FOG DRIVING AUX LIGHT B/O

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just used "Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner" and it worked like a charm and gave a really nice black finish. It took about 4-5 coats with rinsing and drying between each coat to get all the chrome off. Give it a try...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a pic of the rough fit of my FX-R projector and Panamera shroud. You can see the one JnC bracket that I've got screwed into the projector. I'm going to try and get it all fit in the right way and see about making a template for everyone to use.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's a pic of the rough fit of my FX-R projector and Panamera shroud. You can see the one JnC bracket that I've got screwed into the projector. I'm going to try and get it all fit in the right way and see about making a template for everyone to use.
Looks good so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing those angel eyes in there when it's all done. I havent been able to find any pic's of our trucks with angel eyes.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Lookin good man!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts