·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$359 for the hardware and another $160 for the 1 1/2" - 1/4" wall DOM tubing.

They work like a charm. At first it freaked me out because in stead of the rear end squatting under hard accellerating, the front end started to lift up. It totally freaked me out. I pulled over and inspected everything to make sure nothing was loose or broken. Then it happened again and than again. After I made a phone call and got laughed at it was explained to me. It makes sense but I did not think of it when I was driving.

·
Registered
555 Posts
wow, those look great... very clean!

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Those are definatly on my list!

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got tired of the wheel hop on the sled track. I hope this cures it, well these and a set of bump stops that will be done this week. Then the U joint shields. It all has to be done before the 20th.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good looking set up there Strokin. How much of it was a kit and how much was Strokin's design?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All me. I just drew it up and started looking for parts. No kit at all, I got the parts from Poly Performance.

The top heim joint is right hand thread and the bottom is left hand thread so I can preload the bars for either drag racing or sled pulling.

·
Registered
447 Posts
All me. I just drew it up and started looking for parts. No kit at all, I got the parts from Poly Performance.

The top heim joint is right hand thread and the bottom is left hand thread so I can preload the bars for either drag racing or sled pulling.
Almost figured as much. You did a VERY nice job!! How did you figure the length, if you don't mind my asking?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to Bean and a few sled pullers about the length. Some said to try to match the angle of the drive line but that would end up with about 10' bars. Some said to put the frame mount between the doors. So I found where the frame is at its widest part which ended up between the doors(85"). So I went with it. I will see what kind bind, if any, there is when I throw my travel trailer on. If it binds too bad, I will take them off for towing and put them back on at the track.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I talked to Bean and a few sled pullers about the length. Some said to try to match the angle of the drive line but that would end up with about 10' bars. Some said to put the frame mount between the doors. So I found where the frame is at its widest part which ended up between the doors(85"). So I went with it. I will see what kind bind, if any, there is when I throw my travel trailer on. If it binds too bad, I will take them off for towing and put them back on at the track.
I've heard that about matching the driveshaft also. After you've played with it a while, let me know how it all works out, empty and with the 5er.
BTW, considering building another motor at the end of the year, first of next, and may be asking for more advice.
back to topic, and the congrats.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
how are you keeping them from binding when the rear of the truck squats and pulls the axle???

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Wow! That looks really nice! Professional and all. Man, you might could market those if when you get all the kinks worked out! Great Job.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how are you keeping them from binding when the rear of the truck squats and pulls the axle???
It is all a matter of geometry and I hope I got it right. (If the angle of the bar is at the correct angle) when the rear of the truck squats the rear end moves back with the shackle. The traction bar is going to lengthen as the bar flattens under load, essentially making it longer and (hopefully)matching the same change in length the axle changes. I have only played with it a little under light loads but my truck does not squat, I have air bags to maintain the current ride height. I will have to see how it handles towing a load. I mainly need them for racing and pulling but they look cool driving around the street as well.

And for sled pulling where the load pulls the back of the truck down, I am making removable suspension stops that only give my truck 2" of rear compression.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont know much about pulling but i did see an offroad truck pull and one person did try limiting the travel and it made the problem worse. i dont know why for sure but looked like the truck was bouncing off the stops cause a very harsh hop.
the bars do look very nice, i hope everything works out. keep us posted.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Now you need Wheelie Bars!!!!! Looks Good!!! Nice Fab work.

NCH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts