Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it all started about 2 months ago when I picked up my first diesel truck. A 97 F-350 XL, cclb, 2dw, auto, with 185,000 miles for $1500. :thumb:

It's far from perfect, but its my baby. I'm planning on tearing it down and rebuilding it with intent to make it my daily driver. Ill try to keep this thread updated as much as possible, but im only 17, and funds are limited so this might take awhile. :doh:

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's a project that shows promise. From one kid to another, good luck. That truck was a steal.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Good luck man plan to watch this one

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Good luck on the build, promising start you have there, you can use a rear seat from a crew cab to fix that ripped up front

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's looks like a tall task for someone so young, but it will be fun. Will it drive as it sits? What are you plans for the truck, mods or simply building it back to factory?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Good luck with the rebuild, just don't get in to big of a hurry and not do it right.
Doug

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Seems like a decent truck for $1,500 if it runs and drives. I really like the rear bumper, with no bed :hehe:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys! Yes, the truck runs and drives. Mechanically the truck is in near perfect shape. The only thing that worries me is the transmission. Out of the two times that I have driven the truck I've noticed that the automatic trans shifts VERY hard. I'd really like to swap to the manual zf5 trans, but I'm not sure if I could handle the job. Pics of the new bed and gutted interior will be up tomorrow. - Adam

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Sounds great, do you have a new interior to install already?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds great, do you have a new interior to install already?
Nope, I'm gonna worry about the interior after I get the truck back from getting bodywork and paint. I'm gonna need to buy most of the interior parts new because most of the stuff that came in the truck is trash as you can see in the pics. :doh:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Lol, I like to frequent the jy personally, new stuff is expensive, good luck on the build tho can't wait to see this new bed and gutted interior

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, I like to frequent the jy personally, new stuff is expensive, good luck on the build tho can't wait to see this new bed and gutted interior
Haha I feel ya! Luckily I haven't had to buy anything new. Everything that I've needed so far I've been able to find on craigslist locally.
I think the only thing that I will be buying BRAND new will be the carpet. :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As promised here are the pictures of my gutted interior, new (to me) bed and some other goodies, enjoy!
First up, the truck bed. (not installed, just resting on frame)

The missing interior

The doors

The fender

I found some rust preventive paint called por 15 that I'm gonna coat the frame with before I bolt the bed down

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
damn fine project! As for any idea on the interior....be a good canidate for SD seats....mmmmm

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Good luck with the build up.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
looks like a good project

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Good looking project. Don't get the por-15 on your skin, it takes about 3 months to wear off. Trust me, I did it. Good stuff though.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Looks pretty good so far and dont be afraid to pull out that dash cluster and clean it off, mine was maybe a little dirtier. Good luck with the rig tho

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn fine project! As for any idea on the interior....be a good canidate for SD seats....mmmmm
That would be awesome, but I don't think it's possible for two reasons: 1. I'm sure they would need alot of fabrication to get them to fit correctly and I have very limited metal fabricating tools. :doh: 2. I think I would have a hard time getting my hands on a decent set.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts