Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so I have got a questions for you tuner savy fellas. Just a little back story. I recently bought a used 2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke and the previous owned tuned the truck with a Spartan tuner. The tuner did not come with the truck from the dealership.... The only reason I know it has a spartan tune on it is because I bought a H&S mini maxx tuner and when I went to install it I got a error( spra020) unrecognized part number and would not tune over the existing tune. I decided I would do a little research and called up Spartan and was told the only way to reflash or tune my truck would be to replace the TCM or get another spartan tuner. I don't have any issues with the tune that is on the truck. Dosent feel like it has a hot tune on it but just for the sake of not knowing what is on there I wouldn't want to tow with the truck or make any long trips.

Here is my question. If I replace both the ECM and TCM with used parts (provided they match the current part numbers that are on my truck) can I install the mini maxx without taking it to ford for a reflash and just use what is on there. What I am thinking is I can keep the ECM / TCM I have currently with Spartan tunes on them as a spare and grabbing some replacements to use my mini maxx on without paying ford to reflash them. I wouldn't think that The tuner would care what vin is on the ecm and what flash is on there as long as it is supported by the firmware.

Anyways, so if any of you guys out there could shine a little light on this situation that would be great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?? If no answer I am going just take a chance and pick some up in the morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts