Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know about these things. I heard I can get better fuel mileage with one. What kind do I need?

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: search function PLEASE

·
Super Moderator
19,737 Posts
There are many options out there. Do you want canned tunes or custom? How much do you want to spend? Programmers like SuperChips or Hypertech can run in the $300 - $400 range - Custom tunes probably higher depending on what you want. There are some vendors here that can give a better idea. They can be found by clicking on the "Forums" link in the top nav bar and scrolling down to the Powerstroke.org Supporting Vendor section.

Then, there's the "DAAAAAAYYYYYUUUUUMMMM" Factor. That's the thing that hits when you realize you have more power. The result, though, is in indirect proportion to what you want to achieve. You want BETTER mileage and you're getting worse. Until the Dayum factor wears off (for some it never does) you won't be seeing any improvement.

Good luck in your search...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I took Dietoremain's advice and I am on the search. I think I need just a stock programmer that I can run on economy. Not real sure yet. The SCT looks like a favored brand. I am on the website now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm thinking I should just type a response and save it in notepad. Then I can copy and paste it into every one of these threads. :rofl:

Here are some threads you can read that should answer a lot of your questions. Tuners will not be recommended on this forum, nearly all of us run a custom 6 position flip chip.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-performance-parts/150926-programmers-chips-etc-write-up.html
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-performance-parts/187196-intakes-who-what-write-up.html

Edit: SCT is a favorite among the 6.0 crowd I believe. I wouldn't bother with it in the 7.3 (While they do have 7.3 tuning available, it is very expensive for the actual tuner)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
if you just want economy and no towing tunes i would get a PHP, DP, TW, etc with two positions, stock and eco. probably $300 or so. never tow/haul in eco.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
Well I took Dietoremain's advice and I am on the search. I think I need just a stock programmer that I can run on economy. Not real sure yet. The SCT looks like a favored brand. I am on the website now.
Yeah sorry if I sounded like a grouch.. i wish the search function around here worked better.. Anyway honestly I vote PHP tunes you could get a chip with only a few tunes... and custom tunes are WAY better than anything you just plug in and program... :) good luck and welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts