Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the diesel truck world. I traded my 05 Z71 truck for a 01 f-350 dullay. It's 2wd and crew cab. I am wondering what upgrades are good. Like programmers and chips and turbos. I don't know anything so if you will please put good brands with them as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both haha. During the week I pull a 20' trailer everyday so I want to be able to have power and gas saving.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Basically this order:
Intake (DIY is popular), free flowing exhaust, gauges to not melt anything, then a custom burnt chip from Tony Wildman, Beans, Swamps, Gearhead, Innovative, PHP, DP, and others.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'm new to the diesel truck world. I traded my 05 Z71 truck for a 01 f-350 dullay. It's 2wd and crew cab. I am wondering what upgrades are good. Like programmers and chips and turbos. I don't know anything so if you will please put good brands with them as well.
What do you want? Goals? Use for the truck?

1. Never a "programmer". Always a chip. beans and tony wildman are the best for these 7.3's.
2. you can do a LOT with the stock turbo... why do you need a turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What what is the difference in programmers and chips? What do they do? And I don't need a turbo, what all can you do to it. It has a wicked wheel in it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Programmer is bland, just ups fuel, causes high egt's, beats up the tranny, and lower output than chip. also, cant adapt for turbo or fuel.

chip physically takes over the ECU and gives the truck all new "brains".

The WW just stops surge. Actually flows less than stock.

·
Supporting Vendor
280 Posts
Programmer is bland, just ups fuel, causes high egt's, beats up the tranny, and lower output than chip.
Until YOU actually see with YOUR eyes what the tuning on the myriad of flash programming devices actually DOES, please quit telling people those lies.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Until YOU actually see with YOUR eyes what the tuning on the myriad of flash programming devices actually DOES, please quit telling people those lies.
So you are telling us that edge/superchips/the likes are good for your vehicle and produce optimal results?

There are plenty of people on here with blown trannies due to such "programmers" and nearly everybody running the programmers has higher EGT's than those with custom tunes.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I think you two have different definitions.
A programmer just overwrites the pcm with a tune, CUSTOM OR GENERIC, and is no hardware is left in the truck.
A chip overrides the pcm with a physical piece of hardware. The tunes can be CUSTOM OR GENERIC as well.
Clear?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Supporting Vendor
280 Posts
So you are telling us that edge/superchips/the likes are good for your vehicle and produce optimal results?
I'm telling you that the programming on a flash programmer alters the exact same injector pulse width-related maps, injection pressure maps, start of injection (commonly referred to as "timing")maps, transmission shift point functions, and transmission pressure maps as every other modern "custom" tuning joint on the street corner. To what extent those maps and functions are modified will vary between companies, but to say that "all those canned programmers do is add fuel" is a HUGE false statement.

85 305 said:
There are plenty of people on here with blown trannies due to such "programmers" and nearly everybody running the programmers has higher EGT's than those with custom tunes.
There are also thousands of people who have lost transmissions with bone-stock programming and even programming done by ANY "custom tuner" out there. It boils down to how you drive your truck.....and very little else. There is far more to finding the cause of high EGT than to just blame a particular group of tuning devices.

Oh, and as for the "canned tuners don't make as much power" point you made earlier:

Every programmer out there that gives an advertised horsepower gain of 60, 80, or anything up to 100 RWHP on a stock AB/AD 99-03 7.3L WILL come darn close to putting those numbers out on a dyno (and I know how much you love dyno numbers). They don't just arbitrarily pick numbers off of the unicorn tree and hope that the tune will actually work in the first place. Guess what...nothing ANY custom tuner out can do is going to squeak any more than that out of a stock-injector truck.

Here's my final point:
I have SEEN MANY, MANY different tuning calibrations from MANY, MANY different tuning products and companies. Guess what: From a stock injector point-of-view (since this is what the OP has and what this discussion revolves around), all of the tuning looks pretty darn similar. Some looks better than others obviously but there is very little magic to making an additional 100 RWHP on a 99-03 SD truck....and there are only so many ways to skin a cat. I have seen some downright scary (as in "what were they thinking?") stuff on my computer screen as well....but it gets the job done. Would I recommend it? No; but to make a huge blanket statement about "just adding fuel" is showing a lot of ignorance. I HAVE seen a couple that DO add ONLY fuel. It STILL makes 100 additional RWHP. It is far from optimal, and yes, the EGT sucks. However the tuning of which I speak is actually pretty rarely ever run by anybody anyway and I highly doubt you've personally been around it.

To the OP, from my experience, I would suggest finding a reputable "custom tuning" company that sells chips over a "big box store" flash programmer or brand-name generic chip. There is one chip company that has what I call "less than ideal" programming, but they don't do custom tuning anyway, so don't worry about that. The only reason I don't suggest a flash programmer with a 7.3L is that changing tuning levels SUCKS with a flash programmer when you have the option to just flip a switch with the truck running by using a chip.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I think you two have different definitions.
A programmer just overwrites the pcm with a tune, CUSTOM OR GENERIC, and is no hardware is left in the truck.
A chip overrides the pcm with a physical piece of hardware. The tunes can be CUSTOM OR GENERIC as well.
Clear?

When I hear programmer... I envision a hand-held unit such as a hypertech, banks, edge, smarty etc... being plugged in and being in your hands to touch, feel, and "program" the truck.

I
To the OP, from my experience, I would suggest finding a reputable "custom tuning" company that sells chips over a "big box store" flash programmer or brand-name generic chip. There is one chip company that has what I call "less than ideal" programming, but they don't do custom tuning anyway, so don't worry about that. The only reason I don't suggest a flash programmer with a 7.3L is that changing tuning levels SUCKS with a flash programmer when you have the option to just flip a switch with the truck running by using a chip.
Wait so after that huge bull**** post boasting about how good canned tunes and programmers are, and your still gonna side with me on custom tuning?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
When I hear programmer... I envision a hand-held unit such as a hypertech, banks, edge, smarty etc... being plugged in and being in your hands to touch, feel, and "program" the truck.
SCT is a programer . . .

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
SCT is a programer . . .

And they blow penis on the 7.3 w/ their SCT-tunes..... I stand by my statement.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
And they blow penis on the 7.3 w/ their SCT-tunes..... I stand by my statement.
Because you're not understanding what I'm saying. Chips are easier but can have generic tunes as bad as any. Programmers can have crappy tunes, but custom tunes also.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Because you're not understanding what I'm saying. Chips are easier but can have generic tunes as bad as any. Programmers can have crappy tunes, but custom tunes also.

And I would agree with this...

·
Registered
39 Posts
:thumb: Somebody that knows there stuff!!! Im running all stock engine with a #1. Big Boost...#2. Banks Impeller #3. CST 90hp programmer....All Stock engine...And Iv got 492 ft.pounds of torque at the rear wheels (stock is around 300 ft pounds)....all this With no worries of damage to anything...chips invade into the electrical system which WILL CAUSE ISSUES.... give off false codes, fail safe issues, check engine light, etc. they essentially lie to the electronics which will GET YA in the end!! programmers actually reconfigure the PCM...much superior to chips...END OF DISCUSSION!!!!! CASE SOLVED!!!!
O yea, My truck has 350,000 miles with original engine and Tranny....Point proven...

·
Registered
39 Posts
O yea, almost forgot...I Will be adding The superchips DPI (Digital propane Injection.) soon....Then she will be pumping out 560 ft. pounds to the rear tires....but then thats IT!!!!! I will not cross the proverbial 600 ft pounds of torque line in the sand to the rear wheels and chance twisting my flywheel bolts off the TC, or sheering the splines off the tranny shaft...

·
Registered
14 Posts
chips invade into the electrical system which WILL CAUSE ISSUES.... give off false codes, fail safe issues, check engine light, etc. they essentially lie to the electronics which will GET YA in the end!! programmers actually reconfigure the PCM...much superior to chips...END OF DISCUSSION!!!!! CASE SOLVED!!!![/B][/U]
Did you actually read php's post? I put down 290 whp and 600 ftlbs on a "chip" with a bagged hpop (before my adrenaline) that wouldnt produce more than 1900 psi. Ive got 230, 000 miles and the last 40, 000 were "chipped." I drive the truck into the ground and no problems yet. It doesn't matter if you have a "chip" or a "programmer," what matters is the tuning put onto the particular device.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Guys. Agree to disagree. Chips and Programmers essentially do the same thing when in the hands of someone who is knowledgeable about the exact truck configuration you have. If your chip isn't for your truck specifically, you'll toast something. If you don't know how to program a PCM, you'll toast something. Either way, you can toast something for an extra 100 horsepower in no time.

It's better to work with the guys from PHP, Bean, Tony Wildman, etc when they know exactly what you are doing with your truck and what you have done. It will also produce more flexibility and better results when a person versed in your motor and setup is working on your tuning.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts