Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love this site. I have gotten so many questions answered and alot of ideas.

I have a 1999 7.3l F350 Superduty powerstroke Diesel. I am current putting in MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with the 4" down tube and 5" tip. I am also putting in the AFE stage 2 cold air intake. I am looking for better "mpg" for my truck.

My question is if I should go with a tuner or programmer. I will take all your suggestions and go from there. Turner or programmer which is the better brand for the buck. Turner or programmer would mean gauges or no gauges, right? I am not looking to race the truck just better performance when towing and better mpg.

Thanks again for all your help, Jim:icon_ford:

·
Registered
79 Posts
tuner\programmer is the same thing and there many to choose from but if you want more get a chip........thats jus my .02...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOOPPPSSS..

I am new at all this....

I should have said chip or programmer/tuner. Which one would be the best the mpg...best product for the dollar. I looking at not spending to much $$$$. I know I am going to have to go with gauges if I go with the chip

Thank you for your help, Jim

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
your gonna want guages with anything!!! If you want the best mileage/driveability your gonna want a custom tuned chip. Depending on how many tunes you want they can be quite reasonable or quite expensive. Dp and Wildman are the best 7.3 tuners.
dp-tuner.com
totaldieselperformance.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here are a few options for you,

Chips (shift on the fly ability)
Top two that are recommended are DP Tuner (by Jody Tipton), and TW (by Tony Wildman)

Both will give you very good results and you can order a number of different tunes based on what you want.

For Programmers(you don't have the ability to shift on the fly, you have to stop and reprogram a different power level), there is Superchips, Diablo, SCT Livewire and a bunch more, SCT being the top one, and guys like Jody can program their tunes onto the SCT for you. Overall you will find countless posts of people saying OMG I just got my DP-Tuner or TW chip and ditched my edge/superchips or what ever they had before and it's usually night and day.

Overall you need gauges if you decided to go either way, you still need to monitor things when adding more power/fuel. The "over the counter" programers that we're talking about have been know to run hot as well, so there is another reason to get gauges.

My choice would be a Dp-Tuner chip, I have my switch mounted in my 4-pillar gauge pod with three other gauges below it, makes for a real nice look.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Scheidt pretty much beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you need gauges first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{[boost, egt, trany}]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much all. Doakster, You have your switch mounted in my 4-pillar gauge pod with three other gauges below it. So you got a 4 pillar pod? One for the switch and the other for the gauges? Which gauges are you using? Your DP tuner is set on 8 settings, right? Thanks all

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I went to the DP tuner website and they have a few products. Doakster, which one did you go with? where did you get your pod and how much did you spend? Last but not least, what did you pay for your dp tuner and where? Thanks all you are great

·
Registered
366 Posts
Also, check out Tony Wildman's chips at www.totaldieselperformance.com

Tony doesn't charge for chip reburns so that is a big plus and he also helped me with most of my mods with the focus on towing my 32' 5th wheel. The last tow burn he gave me is great. I can easily tow up grades with plenty of power and EGT's have not been a problem. On his economy tune I see about 18 MPG at 75 mph highway, unloaded. Aprrox. 15 around town with my heavy foot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you White Buffalo, When you say Tony Wildman chips is that the TS chips or is that another brand...thank you

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry, I went to the DP tuner website and they have a few products. Doakster, which one did you go with? where did you get your pod and how much did you spend? Last but not least, what did you pay for your dp tuner and where? Thanks all you are great

I have the F5 chip with the gauge mount switch, you can ask for up to 16 different tunes on the chip in any position that you want them in. I ended up buying it direct from DP-Tuner, I believe the only other place to buy a DP-Tuner is from ITP Diesel, but I elected to contact Jody and ask him questions directly. I paid around $600 for my set up with the tunes that you see below in my sig. Like I said you can add up to 16(usually around 5-6 is what people order, but again it's up to you and your needs/wants) but the cost goes up accordingly. You are correct in the gauge pod, I have a 4-pillar mount, it's all one unit, my tuner is at the top hole and my gauges in the next three.

I ordered my gauges from Diesel Manor, David Murphy is great to deal with, he will take the time to answer your questions, great install instructions and his prices are reasonable. Also you can't go wrong with Dennis at ITP Diesel as well for gauges, he is a great vendor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts