Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to change my fuel filter today. I went to my local international dealer can got both of them for 31 bucks.

Decided to tear into it right when I got home. I took the small filter out first and it wasnt to bad, I didnt see any particles in it. For the most part it was just dirty. Then I tore into the one along the frame rail and as soon as I unscrewed it a few rust or particles dripped out with the fuel., and the filter was not attached to the housing lid, so I pulled the filter out and there seemed to be a bunch of either rust or sand particles around the filter. That cant be good. Then I reached in the fuel filter housing and right in the middle of it there was some sand or rust pieces all around the thing. :dunno:

Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I get that sometimes. Im assuming its from the sediment in the storage tanks we pump from. I dont know where you get your fuel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im leaning towards the rust though. Is it possible for my fuel/water separator to rust?

Should I try and clean it out with anything. Maybe spray some parts claner in it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Yeah you should get all the trash out of there so it does not harm the pump but i do not think its the pump or separator that is rusting because it is always full of diesel which will not let it rust. My guess is that you pumped it in.:dunno:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a mirror and a light to look up in there and as hard as it is to believe the round piece in the middle of the housing looks to be pitted with rust. There also seems to be a clip or something in the back out the housing hold a rubber stop in place and the clip also seems to be rusting. The rest seems to be ok and clean though.

This is boggling my mind. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts