Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop installed ARP studs, EGR delete, Remote Bulletproof oil cooler and water pump etc. The engine oil now seems to be running hot. When pulling my 11,000lb 5th wheel on flat roads I am seeing oil temp's in the 230's with coolant down around 210. On a decent hill the coolant is staying down around 210-220 but the oil is pushing into the 240's even with with me backing off and driving around 35 mph.

On one hill that I drive a lot I used to be able to drive around 40-50 mph with no problems. Now I'm at 30mph trying to keep the oil temp's in the 240 range. Coolant temp's are 210-220. I get the wrench light because of the big temp spread. I have also found the AC seems to struggle I'm guessing it's because the oil cooler is behind the condenser and providing more heat/less airflow.

Is this all normal? The guy's at Bulletproof say these are good temperatures. What is a healthy oil temperature to be running at? I think it shuts down at 257. I'm thinking an electric engine cooling fan might be helpful. It's fine when I'm not towing although the oil always runs hotter than the coolant.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We would be happy to help with additional information about normal temperatures and what you can expect, please give us a call at 480-247-2331 and ask for Andrew.

There may be an air flow issue over the heat exchanger, but there are a few other items we would like to have checked including the oil cooler bypass in the stock OE oil filter housing. Thank you for your business and we look forward to hearing from you.

·
Administrator
32,664 Posts
no doubt
and it's not like this is their 1 800 "hotline"
they just care enough to have dedicated some manpower to forum activity

I would be curious in what the temps are monitored with and if the sensors are biased

I think the flat ground 65 mph ECT is to high but without the Ambient I am guessing lol
also they sell a HD version of the cooler I wonder what version He is running?
When pulling my 11,000lb 5th wheel
The Heavy-Duty version of cooler is the right cooler for all 6.0L diesel trucks that work and work hard. This means that if you have a DRW F350, F450 or F550 - you are going to want this heavy duty option. If you have an F250 or F350 (Single Rear Wheel) and you tow heavy or often with your truck, then this is the best option for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the heavy duty cooler with cold weather by-pass. I am using the Edge Insight to monitor temp's. The temp's were ok before the by-pass was installed. I guess there might be a problem so I'll give Andrew at BP a call when I have service. The air temperature was around 60-70 degrees.

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,903 Posts
Sounds like a fan problem to me. Do you hear the fan come on when it runs hot? It should be screaming if you're hitting 210-220. Unless you have the bpd fan clutch adapter :nod:

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
It's an airflow problem, post a pic of your front end please.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front of the truck is open same as before the install. The fan kicks in around 208 degrees. It just had a new radiator, BP water pump, hoses and thermostat. I didn't speak to Andrew yet but I'm wondering if the oil cooler thermostat might be a problem. I'm going to send him some pictures of the install to make sure the tech put the thing in right.

·
Administrator
32,664 Posts
the t stat is 180 it is a bypass I was shown how it worked once it can never block flow of oil to the motor even if it fails not sure if it can avoid the cooler if it fails I almost thought it couldn't but when the Genius behind the design showed me how it worked I was already in information overload mode LOL

i would def take a pic of the t stat and cooler and email Andrew [email protected]

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have the HD BPD remote oil cooler also and see very similar numbers. I have an 06 F550 and pull a 42" 5th toy hauler that weights a ton (18K-20K). I was told the numbers are fine especially when climbing grades. The whole Delta 15 degree deal is out the door when you have an external remote oil cooler. I'm interested to see what comes of this. :eek:hnoes::popcorn2:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
240 is normal with the HD? The worst I ever put my SD cooler through was an 18k load through the mountains when it was 100f. Oil was around 220-225f. I couldn't imagine it going much higher, especially with a bigger cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
240 is normal with the HD? The worst I ever put my SD cooler through was an 18k load through the mountains when it was 100f. Oil was around 220-225f. I couldn't imagine it going much higher, especially with a bigger cooler.

When towing 18k+ it can be. When I had standard cooler I could get 230s easy on flats, 250+ on hills. Now with HD I can get 220 flats and high 240s on hills.

I agree the OP numbers are not overly high, similar to what I have seen, however my trailer much heavier, thus my guess at an airflow restriction. Would still like to see the front end pic. You never know what grille, lights, bumper somebody can have, effecting airflow.

Reactions: john galt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The front of the truck is the same as before the install. No lights, grills etc. I have been working with Andrew at BP to try and figure out what the problem might be, (he has been great). We are going to try a couple of different things including lowering the temp that the fan kicks in at. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ROBERTBAUM... How did this turn out?

BTW after searching the internets for a couple of hours today looking for customer complaints about BPD products this is the only one that I have found.

Hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I just got my truck back from my shop after getting studded, Heads, BPD HD Cooler, BPD Water Pump, BPD EGR Cooler, All new OEM seals, HPOP, etc, etc. I think I am having an airflow issue as well. I have an 05 Excursion with the HD cooler with cold weather bypass. I think where the top portion of the 2015 grill is hindering some airflow as it is directly in front of where the oil cooler is mounted.

Ambient temps are relatively cool 65-75 at most. I live up a mountain pass, and going up the freeway doing 75-80 MPH not towing, I reached up to 230, Around town on level ground, I was averaging 210-220. I was hoping to stay below 200 with this upgraded BPD HD cooler. I monitor with an Edge Insight CTS2 and truck was recently bulletproofed and running all stock. Are these temps to be expected?

Andrew at BPD has been great at responding to emails and trying to determine the cause. They have great customer service and build quality is absolutely the best. He suggested I remove the lower metal grill (have no idea what it is for), and then the front grill and see if that makes a difference. I was planning to remove things one at a time to determine if there is an indeed a airflow problem.

Another option is I had already purchased the Hayden fan clutch so I was just going to order the BPD adapter. I don't want to have to get a new grill just to solve the airflow issue, but I think opting to go with the fan upgrade will help me long term when I start to tow my trailer.

Anyway, anyone have any other insight on what I should be expecting in terms of temps? My fear is that when I start to pull my trailer the temps will reach above 230 pulling up the mountain pass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Hi, I just got my truck back from my shop after getting studded, Heads, BPD HD Cooler, BPD Water Pump, BPD EGR Cooler, All new OEM seals, HPOP, etc, etc. I think I am having an airflow issue as well. I have an 05 Excursion with the HD cooler with cold weather bypass. I think where the top portion of the 05 grill is hindering some airflow as it is directly in front of where the oil cooler is mounted.

Ambient temps are relatively cool 65-75 at most. I live up a mountain pass, and going up the freeway doing 75-80 MPH not towing, I reached up to 230, Around town on level ground, I was averaging 210-220. I was hoping to stay below 200 with this upgraded BPD HD cooler. I monitor with an Edge Insight CTS2 and truck was recently bulletproofed and running all stock. Are these temps to be expected?

Andrew at BPD has been great at responding to emails and trying to determine the cause. They have great customer service and build quality is absolutely the best. He suggested I remove the lower metal grill (have no idea what it is for), and then the front grill and see if that makes a difference. I was planning to remove things one at a time to determine if there is an indeed a airflow problem.

Another option is I had already purchased the Hayden fan clutch so I was just going to order the BPD adapter. I don't want to have to get a new grill just to solve the airflow issue, but I think opting to go with the fan upgrade will help me long term when I start to tow my trailer.

Anyway, anyone have any other insight on what I should be expecting in terms of temps? My fear is that when I start to pull my trailer the temps will reach above 230 pulling up the mountain pass.
You said 05 grille, but I assume you mean 15 grille?.....that's not an 05 grille in the picture you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You said 05 grille, but I assume you mean 15 grille?.....that's not an 05 grille in the picture you posted.
Yes, sorry, I have a 2015 front end and that is my truck in the picture.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Ok, then I can definitely see airflow being an issue. You might have to go to a mesh grille of some sort.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts