Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came to a stop yesterday and the truck sounded like it was loping, just like I flipped a switch for an ICP mod. It would lope so bad the truck shook violently then stalled...I had to drive one foot on the brake olne on the throttle to keep it running at stop lights. Then all the sudden it went back to normal. It didn't throw any codes. It was fine the rest of the day and then this afternoon it began to do the same exact thing... I have a few ideas on what it could be but I want to see what you guys think. Thanks a lot.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
I'll guess ICP sensor. Try unplugging it and see how it does. It will have lower power as it goes into a default mode when the sensor is unhooked but if it doesn't have the problem any more then you need a new sensor. BTW, don't loose that little rubber gasket deal on the ICP plug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool I will try it....thanks for the quick reply

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Your welcome. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey another symptom that I didn't mention is that my throttle is intermittantly very sensative. Like I was running a hot tune. But the truck is completely stock right now. This is tough to diagnose because its being so intermittant.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
This could also be the ICP sensor. If you think of it like the resistor mods which trick the PCM into reading something "wrong" through that sensor, it takes a lower resistor to make it like (example: 5.6k ohm and down) But a higher resistance will give you throttle response but not necessarily a lope (example 18k, 10k, and up) It could be reading up and down out of whack all day long. Be glad you have a 7.3L if that sensor is going bad. It's a nightmare on a 6.0L :hehe:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey another symptom that I didn't mention is that my throttle is intermittantly very sensative. Like I was running a hot tune. But the truck is completely stock right now. This is tough to diagnose because its being so intermittant. I used to run a 4.7K icp mod setup but has been off the truck for quite a while now.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hey another symptom that I didn't mention is that my throttle is intermittantly very sensative. Like I was running a hot tune. But the truck is completely stock right now. This is tough to diagnose because its being so intermittant. I used to run a 4.7K icp mod setup but has been off the truck for quite a while now.
This could also be the ICP sensor. If you think of it like the resistor mods which trick the PCM into reading something "wrong" through that sensor, it takes a lower resistor to make it like (example: 5.6k ohm and down) But a higher resistance will give you throttle response but not necessarily a lope (example 18k, 10k, and up) It could be reading up and down out of whack all day long. Be glad you have a 7.3L if that sensor is going bad. It's a nightmare on a 6.0L :hehe:
What I said. Bro. :nod: That sensor could just go bad, like any other Ford sensor... :crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha didn't mean to post twice...trying to rock it with the Blackberry lol

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Id still try un plugging the ICP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed the sensor this morning...I will let you know what the outcome is. The truck started to act up on the highway on cruise - so I decided to take the $150 gamble.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
You shoulda tried unplugging it first and drove it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Same problem here. Loping idle and sluggish on accel only when it feels like it. I was leaning to ICP since I think right now its leaking oil. I had the rear main replaced under warranty and I still get the annoying residual oil leaking down the back. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its been roughly two weeks now since I replaced the sensor. It definitely cured the loping idle and the cruise control highway fits it was going into. My throttle is still really sensative at about 1400-1600rpm. Do you guys think this could be my injectors showing some wear?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Its been roughly two weeks now since I replaced the sensor. It definitely cured the loping idle and the cruise control highway fits it was going into. My throttle is still really sensative at about 1400-1600rpm. Do you guys think this could be my injectors showing some wear?
What do you mean? Like you can put the pedal down lets say like 10%, then once it hits that rpm range it accelerates faster and feels like you put the pedal down harder even though you didn't?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
$150. Ouch. I have a spare I would have let ya get for $50.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean? Like you can put the pedal down lets say like 10%, then once it hits that rpm range it accelerates faster and feels like you put the pedal down harder even though you didn't?
Exactly except like 5% throttle input. It's wierd though because I can't replicate the problem all of the time. when it acts up the truck increases in rpm and you instinctively let off andit falls on its' face. It's crazy annoying. Thanks for the help sorry about the slow response.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$150. Ouch. I have a spare I would have let ya get for $50.
$50 would have been better but now its hindsight. I'm happy it did fix one of the problems though.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Exactly except like 5% throttle input. It's wierd though because I can't replicate the problem all of the time. when it acts up the truck increases in rpm and you instinctively let off andit falls on its' face. It's crazy annoying. Thanks for the help sorry about the slow response.
I can replicate mine, just turn my chip up and it does it in the higher power settings. I've been trying to figure it out for forever and have not come to any conclusion.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
seems to me maybe the TPS Jake

1 - 20 of 22 Posts