Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

2001 Ford F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short bed Lariat. Bone Stock. I just received a used SCT XCalibrator 2 Programmer I bought on Ebay. Seller said it was UNLOCKED and only used 3 times. No reason to believe I was deceived (yet). Problem is he did not include the paper instructions. Seems like that shouldn't be a problem. But of course, it didn't help me any.

I went to load the tow setting on my truck tonight. First choice after selecting "program vehicle" is to select octane (87, 91, 93). I have tried all 3 even though I have a diesel. Where I run into the problem is when it says to turn the key on for the first time. It then times out and doesn't appear to be able to read my truck.

Anyone know where I can find the instructions online or what my problem is?

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
it is probably set up for the Gasoline engines, not diesel. My tuner doesnt give me an option for any octane rating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my understanding the X Cal 2 works with my 01 7.3 Diesel and several other Ford vehicles. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I did find instructions on the internet, but they are only 2 pages and don't help me much. I have contact info for an SCT dealer somewhat nearby. I can send to them if necessary, but I didn't realize these were specialized. I thought the same stock programs were loaded on all the X Cal 2's which, my truck was listed as compatible.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
well the diesel and gasoline tuners are different in their tuning. sounds to me like you got a tuner for the gassers. talk to SCT or one of the SCT dealers on here and see if they can write tunes for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So each SCT programmer has to be customized? I thought it had room for a couple customized programs and had a set of other standard ones. Forgive me, I know trucks fairly well but I know as much about programmers as I do about women. Let me tell ya, it ain't much!

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
So each SCT programmer has to be customized? I thought it had room for a couple customized programs and had a set of other standard ones. Forgive me, I know trucks fairly well but I know as much about programmers as I do about women. Let me tell ya, it ain't much!
No but what they are saying is the programmer you bought was for a gas vehicle not a diesel. Xcal 2's are able to tune both gas and diesel vehicles, but are specific to that vehicle in other words a diesel Xcal 2 can't tune a gas vehicle with the same programmer and vice versa.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I think you may have been decieved. What model tuner is it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
ELITE DIESEL HAS TUNES FOR THEM, THATS WHERE I GOT MINE. GOOD STUFF FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON. NOT SURE ENOUGH FOR A FUEL NUT :doh: DP SOUNDS TO BE THE TOP CHOICE

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ELITE DIESEL HAS TUNES FOR THEM, THATS WHERE I GOT MINE. GOOD STUFF FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON. NOT SURE ENOUGH FOR A FUEL NUT :doh: DP SOUNDS TO BE THE TOP CHOICE

I am not dising DP because that is what I am running, but I have Tadds tunes and Jodys and Tonys... max power with stock injectors... all the same.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Hello all,

2001 Ford F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short bed Lariat. Bone Stock. I just received a used SCT XCalibrator 2 Programmer I bought on Ebay. Seller said it was UNLOCKED and only used 3 times. No reason to believe I was deceived (yet). Problem is he did not include the paper instructions. Seems like that shouldn't be a problem. But of course, it didn't help me any.

I went to load the tow setting on my truck tonight. First choice after selecting "program vehicle" is to select octane (87, 91, 93). I have tried all 3 even though I have a diesel. Where I run into the problem is when it says to turn the key on for the first time. It then times out and doesn't appear to be able to read my truck.

Anyone know where I can find the instructions online or what my problem is?

If the seller did not return the unit back to stock before selling it will need to be sent back to SCT so they can unlock it. There is a fee for this. You must call or email tech support for a RMA # to be able to send it back. When you get it back you can get tunes from any of their authorzed dealers emailed to you. Don't forget to set up your PC to be able to download the tunes to your unit. That info is on SCT's website under tech support. :thumb:

SCT Automotive Performance Products

Diane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts