Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a friend and I are very seriously considering brewing our own bio-diesel for our trucks. Before we go out and either build or buy a bio machine, we decided to see if the WVO was going to be readily available. So after calling about 15-18 local restaurants all but 2 basically said "we have a contract with a company that takes the oil and pays us to take it". Turns out that these restaurants are being paid about $0.15/gal for their WVO! So here I am with only about 15 gallons per week of WVO secured when I would really like to have about 60+ gallons. What do I have to do to get these restaurants to give me their oil? Should I be offering to pay for it or what? I have literally talked to like 13 different places that basically said "sorry, we can't do it", and I really want to get into the bio-diesel scene ASAP.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am having the same issues here but I don't think I can even get 15 gallons. My step son works for Cargill and tells me they pay some company to haul out tankers full of waste oil. I am planning to go thru some people I know in management there to see if I can get some of it if I buy it, my brother can get me some 300 gallons tanks to store it in. You might want to check into someplace like Cargill or whatever you may have in your area, its worth a shot. The worse they can tell me is no and it doesn't cost anything to ask.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what to do about it, the oil seems to be spoken for.... which totally sucks because I had finally been convinced to get going on bio. I guess I'll just hope some others will chime in with some insight maybe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What works for me. I am getting 20 gals/week in my area.

1. avoid all chain/franchise restaurants
2. make personal visit to locally owned small restaurants. (NO phone calls!)
3. be ready to give them 3 empty 5 gal plastic buckets with lids
4. promise to return in X days to pickup full buckets and leave new clean empty ones.
5. repeat with next restaurant
6. you will need 12+ empty buckets with lids

Kevin

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Check the smaller places. I look in the back to see if they have a storage container. If they don't they are prolly putting it back in the cubbies and tossing it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I landed 2 cubies per week from a local pizza place. The manager was absolutely thrilled that I offered to take his WVO every friday for free, he's even going to have the oil ready for me in cubies, ready to go! Tomorrow morning I'm meeting with three different managers/owners of 3 different small resturants that wanted to meet with me about taking their oil.

I think you guys hit the nail on the head, I need to focus on small resturants, not chain stores or big establishments. Also the whole "meet face to face" idea is key I think, that way the resturant isn't just talking to some joe-shmoe on the phone.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Awesome man, glad to hear it. Its weird getting all excited about nasty wvo.:confused::tard:

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might have to go for the early morning "Rambo" mission. Just check the restaurants that don't open until the afternoon. Look for the 55 gallon drums in the back. This otta raise some more posts....

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You might have to go for the early morning "Rambo" mission. Just check the restaurants that don't open until the afternoon. Look for the 55 gallon drums in the back. This otta raise some more posts....
You can't just do that. Because there are companies that do buy this. Also some resturaunts are paying to dispose of wvo. There for this would be stealing.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
yeah cause that would work like once. Y'know it's kinda hard to be stealthy like that with a diesel...

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
I am having the same problem but i am going to make business cards so they dont have to wright down my info everytime i am asking for it. Most of the people look at me like :)tard:)ya most of restaruants around here do the same thing. But i will get some if it because i plow like BK's snow and what not so i am sure i can talk them out of it. I found out yesterday KFC in my town goes through about 20 gallons of oil a day!! Jackpot and the girl said that it is usually full all of the time! so that is my goal right now is to score that place!!! GO CHICKEN!!:hehe:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yeah I am starting to collect materials to make a processor and I was just wondering about the availability of WVO...I know my college goes through a lot I should see if I can get my hands on that...I have heard chains are hard to get WVO from.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Yeah I am starting to collect materials to make a processor and I was just wondering about the availability of WVO...I know my college goes through a lot I should see if I can get my hands on that...I have heard chains are hard to get WVO from.
whats your college use it for???

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
schools are a good sorce. They use it in the cafeteria. When the carnival comes to town, there are lots of vendors selling funnel cakes and corndogs. From my experiance the key to good funnel cakes is to change the oil often so you could get lots of oil there.
If you have a ball stadium in town there will be vendors that have oil. Usually these are a little more of a hassel to collect from as you have to carry the oil from the stadium to your truck.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
schools are a good sorce. They use it in the cafeteria. When the carnival comes to town, there are lots of vendors selling funnel cakes and corndogs. From my experiance the key to good funnel cakes is to change the oil often so you could get lots of oil there.
If you have a ball stadium in town there will be vendors that have oil. Usually these are a little more of a hassel to collect from as you have to carry the oil from the stadium to your truck.
great idea!! I did get some guys that want to talk with me in person so that could be a good thing. they currently have contracts but because i eat at those restaurants sometimes they said they would rather support a customer rather than a company

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they just toss it. I tried to start a biodiesel group to make something for them but they wanted nothing to do with it.

ballparks? hmmm...great idea. I would have never thought of that, there is a minor league park not too far from me I should check out. Thanks a ton.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Baker Comodoties is the enemy.... they are literally taking almost all of the WVO in my area. They are a nation wide company that exports almost all of their fat and oil that they collect. The guy I spoke to on the phone from Baker told me that all the WVO they collect and buy goes to Europe, and they make Bio with it there. It's so damn hard to find WVO in my area. Every resturant has a contract with this Baker company and in many cases Baker is paying them for the oil. I have only about 35 gallons/week secured, and I really need like 80+ to make this investment worth it to me. I think this whole Bio diesel thing is going to be a bust for me, sad to say. The WVO is simply too hard to get.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Baker Comodoties is the enemy.... they are literally taking almost all of the WVO in my area. They are a nation wide company that exports almost all of their fat and oil that they collect. The guy I spoke to on the phone from Baker told me that all the WVO they collect and buy goes to Europe, and they make Bio with it there. It's so damn hard to find WVO in my area. Every resturant has a contract with this Baker company and in many cases Baker is paying them for the oil. I have only about 35 gallons/week secured, and I really need like 80+ to make this investment worth it to me. I think this whole Bio diesel thing is going to be a bust for me, sad to say. The WVO is simply too hard to get.
try talking with the restaurants ask if they can simply just hold back 15 gallons a week for you but you need to spend money there like eat there and stuff. while i am typing i keep thing of small little bars that i can get it from. I think i got the source here but i am going to keep calling

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I don't understand this logic but i hear it often. Just because you can't get enough to fuly supply your needs is no reason to give up. You say you can get 35 gallons a week? At 5.00 per gallon on diesel thats175 bucks a week you will save...you still will be buying some diesel sounds like but your saving almost 800 a month at 35 gallons a week. And later, eventually you may stumble on to lots more oil. Don't ask a resturant for ALL of there oil, ask if you can have SOME of it. They will likely give it to you then. And if they want payment that is equal to what the render is paying, do it...your still saving alot of money over buying diesel. Just think, for every gallon of bio-d you run, thats one less 5 dollar bill out of your pocket. And in a year that figure will be higher.
try talking with the restaurants ask if they can simply just hold back 15 gallons a week for you but you need to spend money there like eat there and stuff. while i am typing i keep thing of small little bars that i can get it from. I think i got the source here but i am going to keep calling
If you called my resturant asking for my grease I wouldn't take time to talk to you. If you came in (when i was not busy durring the lunch rush) and talked to me i would listen. Do not call and expect good results.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Bummer man. Wait your from Mass and go to hmm....Curry or Eastern Naz or something like that right? Have you checked with them as far as how much they go through? Do you plan on running B100 all the time?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts