Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at oil for my first change since buying the truck. I found Motorcraft 15W40 on Amazon for what I think is a decent price. I don’t see where it says it’s CJ-4 certified to use with the DPF. I would assume so with it coming from Ford, but wanted to confirm with you experts. Like I said probably a really dumb question but just want to be sure. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
I would not buy from amazon even if you verify the seller too many spilled container complaints.

You do not have to use motorcraft oil if you are worried about that too. Delo and Rotella have been the go to for years and are available at near every store (Walmart being the cheapest by far). It will not void your warranty and 99% of diesel oils were required to change to the new EPA ck4 standard a couple of years ago.

I run Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40 in my personal truck and 99% of our equipment gets oil from 55gal drum of delo and rotella 15w-40 etc. MILLIONS of miles with zero oil related issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not buy from amazon even if you verify the seller too many spilled container complaints.

You do not have to use motorcraft oil if you are worried about that too. Delo and Rotella have been the go to for years and are available at near every store (Walmart being the cheapest by far). It will not void your warranty and 99% of diesel oils were required to change to the new EPA ck4 standard a couple of years ago.

I run Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40 in my personal truck and 99% of our equipment gets oil from 55gal drum of delo and rotella 15w-40 etc. MILLIONS of miles with zero oil related issues.
Good to know. I actually found the Motorcraft at Walmart for cheaper and available to pickup today. When I looked on the Motorcraft site it said it was CK-4 as well. I very well might look to change to the T6 as I’ve heard and seen lots of great things. I’m right at 5k miles from the dealership oil change and I am towing both campers this weekend to need to get it changed! I’m far outside of warranty. Figure I can’t go wrong with the Motorcraft for this change. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well this might be a sign...got an email saying the Motorcraft was out of stock. Opted to go with the Delo, about $14 cheaper! Hopefully it’s in stock.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Its just a personal opinion but there have been numerous test that show Motorcraft oils is not really anything special so although oem parts are recommended for powerstrokes Ford didn't really go all out to beat the big oil companies with their oil lol.

Been using Delo since as long as I can remember and since i see -25 in the witner started trying the full synthetic from Rotella and just enjoyed the smoother winter operation is all etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its just a personal opinion but there have been numerous test that show Motorcraft oils is not really anything special so although oem parts are recommended for powerstrokes Ford didn't really go all out to beat the big oil companies with their oil lol.

Been using Delo since as long as I can remember and since i see -25 in the witner started trying the full synthetic from Rotella and just enjoyed the smoother winter operation is all etc.
I am here in the South so outside of this last winter, we TYPICALLY don’t see crazy cold weather. Summers do get hot though! Went with 15W40 cause I’m towing both my campers pretty frequently.

·
Administrator
31,671 Posts
walmart and oil supply sucks around here
Delo syn for my 6.0 is the easiest to get at most stores and as far as Amazon I must agree the way they ship on it's side and what not is silly
UPS rejected my last shipment for me because it was leaking out in their truck lol

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,108 Posts
I run motorcraft but not for any specific reason other than my truck is under warranty. Delo is good stuff though.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
I don’t see where it says it’s CJ-4 certified to use with the DPF.
API CJ4 or API CK4 have nothing to do with the DPF.
API CK4 rated is where the line was with Ford since they say it didn't protect the motor how they wanted. Any oil you can buy that's API CJ4 is good to use. Finding API CJ4 oils is almost impossible now since the new API CK4 has been out for quite awhile now.
If using API CK4 oils check the Ford list of approved oils, not cause Ford says so but you can make a better decision if you feel inclined.

As above replies have already stated there are plenty of good oils that can be used in your motor. I run the MC 10w30 with no issues.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,108 Posts
Just to clear things up for new Powerstroke owners. You DO NOT have to use motorcraft oil for warranty purposes... If Delo or Rotella was bad it would have killed off Caterpillar, John Deere, Peterbuilt and any other diesel on the road long before even the 6.0l was a thought.
Wasnt trying to imply it was the only option but it shuts then up quick when all youve run is the factory stuff.

Reactions: MtnTallPaul
1 - 16 of 16 Posts