Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying some pro comp traction bars, do you think they are worth it??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Off topic, but does anyone have a pic of how the traction bars hook up? I am a fabricator, so I just cant justify buying a set, when I can build them with material I have laying around.
In particular, the shackle end of the bars seems to confuse me? If the shackle gives, then wouldnt that allow the axle to wrap up? I have got to be missing something here, right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone got a closer pic of the shackle end?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Im running Superlift traction bars, and I definately noticed a difference in axle wrap, IMO they are worth it. Prdcustoms, I can take a pic for you tomorrow morning if no one else posts any pics up before.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That would be great

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sorry PRD, I totally spaced out about this till tonite :doh:. I just snapped some pics, I had to break out the ol' halogen lamp to light it up a bit hope this will help you out. :thumb:

Let me know if you need any other angles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another advantage to Trac bars is the reduction in sway in a heavy cross wind and keeping the wheels aligned when driving on a rutted road. You'll have much better driving characteristics. I like superlift too, expecially with the Heym (sp) joints. I agree, the more lift and torque, the more you need them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks simple enough, but most trac. bars I have seen have a shackle at one end? What the hell is that for if you can run a solid mount? Seems like if the axle wanted to twist, the shackle design would allow that to happen?

Anyways, thanks for the pics. I'll probably try to duplicate your setup. My lift / tires should be here on Wednesday, and I should be getting my performance parts ordered on Friday. I'll post pics after I get them built.

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
Looks simple enough, but most trac. bars I have seen have a shackle at one end? What the hell is that for if you can run a solid mount? Seems like if the axle wanted to twist, the shackle design would allow that to happen?

Anyways, thanks for the pics. I'll probably try to duplicate your setup. My lift / tires should be here on Wednesday, and I should be getting my performance parts ordered on Friday. I'll post pics after I get them built.
Make sets for the ORG FAMILY.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hm the ones i got are differnt, they slip under the blocks? Are these no good?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
PRD, I'm not sure I've seen the ones you are referring to. The idea with the trac bars is that you are basically using the axle pinions tendency to rotatate upward under acceleration, and using a long lever (i.e. the actual trac bar), to transfer this upward rotation to lifting the weight of the truck and thus placing more of the weight onto the rear wheels. thereby reducing the amount of axle wrap and wheelhop. As was stated earlier, the higher the lift and bigger the tires the worse it is amplified. You want the bars to be rigidly attached to the axle assy for the best result. I used to run traction/ lift bars on an old fox body chassis that were the same way. Day, Do your bars attach to the underside of the leaf pack using the existing U-bolts? I think if you have that style they should be ok.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you use the existing u-bolts, be sure to tighted them snugly or add lock washers - mine loosened up after about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That wouldnt be too hard to do? Let me make a set, and I'll send you a pic
You should PM Stump he made his own set of traction bars and might be able to give you some pointers and tips. I know he did a write up on them or went through the process of how he did them. :thumb:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mine attach liek this AXLE_TRACK_BLOCK_SPRINGS still good??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts