Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a rebuilt turbo. Before I put it on I poured oil in the oil holes and turned the impeller shaft to work the oil into the bearing. A buddy of mine told me he primed the turbo on his kenworth by sticking a pencil in the impeller wheel to keep it from turning for about a minute while he started his truck in order to get oil to the turbo. He was told that if he didn't do that he might burn the bearing on startup. He talked to a ford mechanic down the street and he said I could do this or I could just start it. Well I tried to stick a pencil in there to keep the wheel from turning but it damn near ripped the pencil out of my hand when it started so I wasn't able to do this. I let it run anyway and everything seems fine. Drove it a few miles and there doesn't seem to be any problems. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Could I have caused some damage to my expensive new turbo?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nothin to worry about. I would have been more worried about breaking the pencile off in there

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
I always jusy start mine.... Let it idle for about 10 min then start driveing it easy for a few miles... Then I give it hell!!

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I did the same thing when I rebuilt mine. I prelubed them with engine oil while the turbo was apart, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
My new D-66 turbo I got from Beans a couple weeks ago came with instructions that said (as best as I can remember) to pre lube the turbo with engine oil, Change the engine oil and filter, change air filter and inspect intake, crank truck and let idle at 1000 rpm for 5 minutes before driving, make sure to let it cool down before stopping engine every single time. It said something about voiding the warranty if this stuff wasn’t done right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts