1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Ford just quoted me $115

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i just did mine when i installed my new trans, i also replaced the cooler up front as well.

i was AMAZED at how much junk came out of it while i flushed it.

its very easy to do yourself. i took all the lines off and flushed them really good with a trans flush, then hit them with the air hose. the front cooler will never get "flushed" because of how tight the fins are. the cooler that is part of the radiator cant be replaced but you can flush that one really good.

also if you are going to do it yourself spend the 40+ dollars on the filter thats on the frame rail. it looks like a roll of toilet paper. mine was black.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Its really not to bad to do. I would save the money and do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
meron? you talking about the fluid?

if so i paid like $5.xx a qt for it. i also have a mag hytec pan on the trans too..took in the neighborhood of 25/26ish qts with filling the the new cooler and the lines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it's $130 in oil and $40 in a filter, $210 doesn't sound bad to have the dealer do it.
Is there a way to flush the trans w/out special equipment?

·
Registered
420 Posts
on all ford diesels the trans pan gasket is reusable and there is a plug on the trans pan on all torque shift transmission...if you want to change out the fluid then you can go it this way but iam not sure if it replaces 100% of the fluid but i know it replaces a good amount.

Materials
- the filter on the frame rail ( the looks like toilet paper) My housing is gray. $33.00
- interal filter in the trans $38.00
- 10Qts of Mercon SP

Steps
- Drop the plug on the trans to drain out all thbe fluid
- Remove all 10mm bolts from the trans pan and drop the pan
- Clean the pan with brake parts cleaner
- Also clean the magnet that will be located inide the pan where the plug goes
- Dissamble the filter on the frame rail i believe its a 24mm and that will drop down.
- Clean that housing with parts cleaner
- swap out the O ring gasket on the filter housing and install new filter
- Just tighten it how you would with the oil filter
- Back to the trans there will be a black plastic interal filter that you can miss just pull down on that and it will come down.
- Then snap the new filter in the same place there are no bolts
- after cleaning the pain reinstall the pan and gasket (dont forget to put the magnet back in)
- Then put the plug back in double check everything
- Add 10 QTs of mercon SP fluid and run the truck check level and top off to proper level if needed.

I hope this helps some what
-

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah it's pretty easy to do yourself. Plan on doing mine next week

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
on all ford diesels the trans pan gasket is reusable and there is a plug on the trans pan on all torque shift transmission...if you want to change out the fluid then you can go it this way but iam not sure if it replaces 100% of the fluid but i know it replaces a good amount.

Materials
- the filter on the frame rail ( the looks like toilet paper) My housing is gray. $33.00
- interal filter in the trans $38.00
- 10Qts of Mercon SP

Steps
- Drop the plug on the trans to drain out all thbe fluid
- Remove all 10mm bolts from the trans pan and drop the pan
- Clean the pan with brake parts cleaner
- Also clean the magnet that will be located inide the pan where the plug goes
- Dissamble the filter on the frame rail i believe its a 24mm and that will drop down.
- Clean that housing with parts cleaner
- swap out the O ring gasket on the filter housing and install new filter
- Just tighten it how you would with the oil filter
- Back to the trans there will be a black plastic interal filter that you can miss just pull down on that and it will come down.
- Then snap the new filter in the same place there are no bolts
- after cleaning the pain reinstall the pan and gasket (dont forget to put the magnet back in)
- Then put the plug back in double check everything
- Add 10 QTs of mercon SP fluid and run the truck check level and top off to proper level if needed.

I hope this helps some what
-
Thats not what the dealer does to "flush" the trans. Still have fluid in the TC you're not getting plus the lines and cooler. A flush pushes fluid through the system, not just draining it and filling it back up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts