Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I have an '07 PSD, but I've always loved the look (inside and out) of the '08-10 PSD's. Just wondering if anyone who previously or still owns a 2005-2007 6.0, could chime in and quickly compare their 6.0 to their 6.4 for me? I'm just curious. Doesn't have to be too descriptive...just general impressions would be enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
6.4 is a power house compared to the 6.0.

Fuel mileage sucks on the 6.4. I was getting 20-21 on my handshaker 350, looking at 14-16 on my 5R110 6.4

Motor is quieter and starts quicker.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So pretty much, I'd have to spend thousands on my 6.0 to match the performance of the 6.4 with just basic mods?

Is the 6.4 mileage still worse even without a dpf, cat, and muffler? How does the truck sound?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had two 6.0's a 04 and 05, and now I have a 08 running the livewire with the DPF delete, it's quieter in the cab(all around), rides smoother, I'm only running a 250 tune and its seems a tad quicker then my 6.0 with SPD. But all around I like the truck better. I was just eery when I first bought it because the horror stories i've heard about them, then I remembered I had a 6.0:thumb::hehe:

EDIT: Mileage I read 20 in town on the lie-o-meter and 31 on hwy but haven't had a chance to hand calculate

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:EDIT: Mileage I read 20 in town on the lie-o-meter and 31 on hwy but haven't had a chance to hand calculate
Wow! 31 mpg even on the lie meter!? Jesus. My 6.0, just gets 17.6 mpg on the highway, even driving super conservatively! I'd kill for 31 mpg even on the lie meter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Truck sounds awesome Hans, you coming to Calgary soon? I got 4" no muffler setup on mine if you want to hear it :) I like it, some people don't, good to hear a bunch of them before you buy if you are unsure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truck sounds awesome Hans, you coming to Calgary soon? I got 4" no muffler setup on mine if you want to hear it :) I like it, some people don't, good to hear a bunch of them before you buy if you are unsure.
This inquiry is more of a long term thing for me. I've always loved the '08-10's, but they're still so expensive, especially compared to the '05-07's. So I'm kinda just asking to see if I want to save for an '08-10, or keep slowly upgrading and working on my 07.

And no, I'm never in calgary. I live in edmonton, and work a 10-4 shift on a site north of fort mac. At least I don't have to use my beloved psd for work lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
So pretty much, I'd have to spend thousands on my 6.0 to match the performance of the 6.4 with just basic mods?

Is the 6.4 mileage still worse even without a dpf, cat, and muffler? How does the truck sound?
You decide,

Stock no dyno run 350 hp ( flywheel) and 650 torque OEM Specs, drop 20-25% thru the drive train and RW figures are

280RWPH
520RWTorque

Delete DOC/DPF and tune with H&S $1200.00

494RWHP
975RW torque
Dyno number from Rudy's First Dyno day. Numbers published in Deisel power from the event.:woot:

This give you great bragging rights but to teh real world it means little. Towing I have EGT issue with moderate weight. :doh:
Solution:

Intake, EGR delete, exhaust Manifolds, UP pipes, Turbo upgrade, Studs, Torqueconverter, Snow performance w/m injection

Cost around $8000.00 plus install.:crazy:

All up not counting other mods $9200.00 for a real world difference and drivability. What can you do to yoru 6.0 for almost 10 grand?:eek:hnoes:

Sound Idle sounds great, full power bit like a vacuum cleaner with a 5 inch exhaust and 6 inch tip.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers

·
Registered
544 Posts
Somethign I would love to see for the 6.0 is the 6.4/6.7 fuel injector/system conversion.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For that kind of money you could love you 6.0 for a long time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This inquiry is more of a long term thing for me. I've always loved the '08-10's, but they're still so expensive, especially compared to the '05-07's. So I'm kinda just asking to see if I want to save for an '08-10, or keep slowly upgrading and working on my 07.

And no, I'm never in calgary. I live in edmonton, and work a 10-4 shift on a site north of fort mac. At least I don't have to use my beloved psd for work lol
I just picked mine up with 165km on it for 15 and I've seen two more come up in Calgary that are under 200k for under 15, so they are definitely coming down, LOTS of lease backs right now too, hell I should have waited 3 weeks by the looks of it but oh well. All the 6.0's in Calgary seem to be well over the 200k mark if you want to spend 10g or less, all the 6.0s that are 150km or less are still looking for 15k it seems so I just stepped up to a 6.4L XL model and am super happy. I was originally hunting for a good deal 6.0 but this 6.4 just kept coming back up.

Well I do make it up to Edmonton/Pigeon Lake and might even do a run up to Fort Mc to visit my better halfs family that is working up there sometime this winter, if I do head up that way I'll shoot you a message :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. I've spent 10k on my 6.0 already, incl visuals and tires, and probably have 400hp/600tq at the wheel. That's just a guess though. Damn :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked mine up with 165km on it for 15 and I've seen two more come up in Calgary that are under 200k for under 15, so they are definitely coming down, LOTS of lease backs right now too, hell I should have waited 3 weeks by the looks of it but oh well. All the 6.0's in Calgary seem to be well over the 200k mark if you want to spend 10g or less, all the 6.0s that are 150km or less are still looking for 15k it seems so I just stepped up to a 6.4L XL model and am super happy. I was originally hunting for a good deal 6.0 but this 6.4 just kept coming back up.
Nice. I paid $13.5 for my bone stock 07, only 2 months ago with 253k. But I am addicted to leather seats. And it's a loaded lariat. And it came with all service records for it's lifetime from a ford dealership. Put about $10k into it in 2 months

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not bad. I'm on the same path to 10k in 2 months haha, dang!

I do love leather but this was such a good deal and really all the leather 6.4's had never been taken care of unless you wanted a 30k truck, so I figure I will hold out for the next deer or T-bone wreck and steal the interior out of it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do love leather but this was such a good deal and really all the leather 6.4's had never been taken care of unless you wanted a 30k truck, so I figure I will hold out for the next deer or T-bone wreck and steal the interior out of it.
Exactly my problem. And if you want one that's got leather and already lifted a few inches, you're well above $30k, which just isn't in my price range.

I wish I had the skills to do that kind of interior work on my truck. I'd screw it up completely. Drives up my costs, cause I always have to pay someone to install stuff, even if I saved money with a great deal on the part.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow. I've spent 10k on my 6.0 already, incl visuals and tires, and probably have 400hp/600tq at the wheel. That's just a guess though. Damn :(
If I add it all up....ouch!

Suspension 10K,
Tires 3K
Bumper 2K
delete Kit 1.2K
Finish the motor mods 8K

There are a lot of K's there. And I haven't started with the interior yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^ haha, LOTs of K's :)

Ok so I'm probably one of the youngest out of the group.... I have to ask the elders..... how the hell do you keep the wife/girlfriend happy or do you just not tell her? Most of my customers go with not telling her, masking it with a gift for them, but they eventually find out from a friend slipping the mouth or something that you spent HOW MUCH ON YOUR LIFT KIT???? Then it's like the world is coming to an end for them. Any tips appreciated :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I add it all up....ouch!

Suspension 10K,
Tires 3K
Bumper 2K
delete Kit 1.2K
Finish the motor mods 8K

There are a lot of K's there. And I haven't started with the interior yet.
Haha yeah it's bad. For myself:

Studs, egr delete, gaskets, oil cooler, ficm, coolant filter, coolant flush, sct x3, custom tunes - 4.25k

Tires & rims - 2.5k

Exhaust - 1k

Cai - $350

Headlights, grilles, badges, taillights, accessories - 2k

Black out bumpers + tools - $300

Ficm tuner (still haven't received) - $600

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so I'm probably one of the youngest out of the group.... I have to ask the elders..... how the hell do you keep the wife/girlfriend happy or do you just not tell her? Most of my customers go with not telling her, masking it with a gift for them, but they eventually find out from a friend slipping the mouth or something that you spent HOW MUCH ON YOUR LIFT KIT???? Then it's like the world is coming to an end for them. Any tips appreciated :)
I dunno. I'm 22. I just tell her if she asks. The part she got the most upset about was when I bought a brand new chrome grille and then 1 week later bought a harley grille instead lol. She doesn't seem too bothered by it. I am planning on cutting down the spending though, now that the bulk of my must-do list is done.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Keeping the wife/girlfriend happy is not repeat not a function of spending or not spending money on one truck.... But that is a whole 'nother thread in a different forum.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

My case I love working on cars/truck.bike/boat/planes pretty much anything with an engine. I have a good job and so does my other half. Bills get paid on time or early, retirement program gets funded, and there is the mad money.

What I have done and do is for longevity of the expensive truck I drive and use. It was bought with a purpose in mind to haul a slide on camper ( truck camper) and tow the toys to places we want to visit. The money is not spend on silly lift kits and huge tires just because they look cool. Everything done feeds the end goal of making this beast live a long time and give it the capability to haul a 5500# truck camper and 5000# trailer safely to anywhere we want to go.

plus it is my money, and all of our needs and bills are taken care of.:thumb:

How would I explain a 6inch lift kit and 40 inch rubber ..... I wouldn't unless I needed it to get from point a to point b.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts