Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[04 f250 6.0 2wd] today i did the first oil change on my dad's 250. it's got 86k mi on it. did all the research on 'properly changing the oil' and filled it with rotella t3 15w40. afterwards i started it up and it ran like normal. oil pressure and all gauges were normal. parked it, and came back out 20 minutes later and there was a puddle the size of a Frisbee under the truck. looked underneath and it seems to be coming from a silverish looking piece between the turbo and the oil pan on the rear of the motor. i guess you could say it's pretty much in the middle of the engine. wondering if anyone has a name for this piece, or if this oil is causing the leak. any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
A picture could help. I'm thinking of the turbo on top of the engine and the oil pan on the bottom and can't connect the dots to see what could be leaking.

Did you change the copper washer?

The first time I changed the oil I got a new copper washer and torqued to specs. It was leaking a few drops when I parked so I tightened it a little more. Since then, I've reused the copper washer and I've changed the oil about five times now and it doesn't leak. Other threads say that if you don't change the copper washer each time, it'll leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know it sounds vague. i would've taken a picture, but as i was writing it got dark. i'll do my best to try and describe the location. i'd say its about 1 foot under the turbo, on the rear of the block, and about 2 feet above the oil pan mating surface. and i'n not sure which copper washer you're referring to.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The copper washer I was talking about is the one that goes on the drain plug. Definitely not where your leak is coming from. Anything I'd say would be speculation, so I'll keep quiet. There's some pictures with labels in this document that may help describe the area.

www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/EF_456.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts