Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what oil the factory fills these 6.7 up with at the factory? Is it the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10W-30, or something else? I am coming up on the first oil change and would like to use a Full Synthetic someday, but not yet! Also I have found the FL-2051 Motorcraft filters locally but I was thinking about using a WIX due to their great reputation. Just wondering what you guys are using out there and why?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone know what oil the factory fills these 6.7 up with at the factory? Is it the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10W-30, or something else? I am coming up on the first oil change and would like to use a Full Synthetic someday, but not yet! Also I have found the FL-2051 Motorcraft filters locally but I was thinking about using a WIX due to their great reputation. Just wondering what you guys are using out there and why?
My question would be even if WIX has a great reputation why go away from the factory filter?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I beleive they come from the factory with 10-30 non synthetic. I have been running 15-40 until yesterday when I switched over to Valvoline Premium blue extreme for the winter at 9k miles. I would stick with the ford filter and get a filtermag.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was told today they use a Synthetic Blend from the factory in the 2011 6.7's

Have not come up on my first oil change, so I am not 100% on that. If it is a Synthetic Blend from the factory, just stick with it if your motor is stock. Ford would not put something in their motors that they thought was not sufficient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
running rotella T6 5-40 full syn, and factory filter, mechanic at dealership said man your using the best oil out there, I buy it at wally world and take it to them to change, mainly so that its in the computer that it is being changed, they say Ford as well as others are looking for ways to void warranties.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dealer sold me 10w30..13 quarts,filter,5 gallons DEF=100 bucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You did not get raped but I would not say the dealer did you any real favours based on retail pricing...
Yea I think it was actually $88 tax included.I remember handing the guy a $100 bill and saying "You tried to get it all".:rofl:

·
Registered
91 Posts
So ford is getting away from 15w40 oil now?
Thats what they reccomend for the 6.7 PS,at least in my climate.It is a CJ-4 10w30.

·
Registered
384 Posts
They said 10w30 for the 6.7 here in cali also.. They also said its $125.00 per oil change. I have the maintenance plans though so don't really care what they charge lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If anyone is interested I just noticed O'reilly's has 2.5 gallons DEF that you can buy online and have delivered to their store for $11.99. Ford dealer here in town wanted almost $20.00 for 2 gallons . It is also stocked in their stores according to the internet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Back in November I went to the customer feedback event and spoke with an engineer on the powertrain team. He told me that the engine has synthetic from the factory, didn't ask regarding viscosity. Me personally, I just received my shipment of AMSOIL and will go with the 20W50 diesel oil and a Ford filter....oh yeah, and bought an extra drain plug just in case. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
Back in November I went to the customer feedback event and spoke with an engineer on the powertrain team. He told me that the engine has synthetic from the factory, didn't ask regarding viscosity. Me personally, I just received my shipment of AMSOIL and will go with the 20W50 diesel oil and a Ford filter....oh yeah, and bought an extra drain plug just in case. Good luck!
WOW 20w50? im guessing you're in a super warm environment..thats thick oil there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
During a Ford-Customer feedback event, I spoke to an Engineer on the Engine Team, he told me that it leaves the factory with 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im at 16k on my 13 f350 and the dealer has been using 10w30 super duty oil. Im switching to the rotella t6 synthetic and also adding the bypass system. Would run a tuner but they arent giving me any excuses if something comes up under warranty. They said no matter what theyd be able to tell if I changed the tune. Is this correct? Others have said there is a tune that isnt detectable as long as its switched back before you take it in if the need arises. Would just like to use a tow setting and see if it helps or not mileage wise. Thanks for any input or advice. Frank

1 - 20 of 30 Posts