Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just throwing some ideas around, and started thinking about pulling off against my buddy. My mods are in my sig, and he has a 2003 2500hd with the 8.1L and a 6 speed, he has nothing done but exhaust, who do you guys think will win? im confident in the ol powerstroke but man his truck has some power.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I bet that 8.1 has some balls behind it sad to say.

·
Registered
247 Posts
id say u got a pretty good shot

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
big blocks are pretty ballsy, but, if you could get traction i'd say you have a good shot.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Power doesnt mean chit in a pull off/tug o war. Traction is king there. Dont move till he starts spinning. You will win for sure then. But if your tires are shot or you break traction you are screwed.

Pull offs are pointless. All they prove is willingness to break crap

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I think you would win, i have seen powerstrokes put duramaxes so i would think a gasser would be easier than that. You should have the weight/traction advantage

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,721 Posts
If you force him to break traction you will win. Be careful though, pull offs break chit!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Go to your local walley world and buy one of those big plastic tool boxes..then go to a supply store and fill it full of sand (with it in the back of your truck beforehand) You wont prove anything ...but you must have some reason for it to matter.
No matter who wins ,keep in mind that a large skid loader with maybe 60 horsepower maximum would drag either one of you backward for a couple miles.
Why treat your truck like a tractor??:crazy:

Hope youre at least chargeing the onlookers an admission fee...the entertainment value is pretty high !
(but not quite as high as when someone shouts "girl fight" in high school!):hehe:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
I predict something will break.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i aint out to break anything its just been an idea floating around in my head, but loe and behold he broke his cv's this weeend (what else is new for chevys) ha. he claims the 6 speed has granny low? im not sure but i know his truck has a locker and i only have posi (prety reliable so far) but we will have to see when he fixes his rig.

on another note do the auto locking hubs seem to be problematic on the super dutys? when switching from 2 to 4 (just switch) my front wheels dnt spin, when i lock it in and flip it they work like a champ, and good aftermarket idea or any quick fixes out there?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Umm... what gearing does the 8.1 have? those things are pretty mean. Be careful, and I hope you don;t break man!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
the truck has a manual 6 speed? if its auto then its got the 5 speed allison, chevy used the zf 6 speeds behind the early duramaxs so it might have a zf with a granny low if its a manual. only thing the gas has is if you both get traction, he doesnt have to wait for boost, alot of underpowered gas engines win because they get under power quicker.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I pulled agains my buddies 8.1 gasser about a month ago and drug him for about 60 ft. before he finally gave up...you'll probably kick his ***, just hope you don't break anything...pulling like that is a good way to screw something up quick...\
P.S. that was before all the mods in my sig, that pull was done stock...i also pulled my buddies 2500 Dmax, and my other friends f-250 and killed both of them...all stock too...with the new mods they wouldn't have a chance in hell

·
Registered
530 Posts
I feel that you have a huge advantage just for the simple fact that your opponent has to shift and that moment what ever advantage if any transfers too you, also the closer that your hitches are to the same height make a difference. lower your tire pressure at lease 25 pounds for added traction ( bigger foot print on the road ) might want to practice a little with some of your friends before it is for real good luck

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Power doesnt mean chit in a pull off/tug o war. Traction is king there. Dont move till he starts spinning. You will win for sure then. But if your tires are shot or you break traction you are screwed.

Pull offs are pointless. All they prove is willingness to break crap
I will second this statment.

POINTLESS:nod:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Just make sure you guys do this on gravel. You will be less likly to break anything.:wink[3]:

·
Registered
91 Posts
or dirt so you dont ding up your tailgate...but yeah it more about traction and weight versus power. My S250 bobcat could pull two f250 easily and it's only got a 60 hp motor. it has more traction and weight. I L8000 grapple truck stuck a couple months back and hooked both my F-550 and my F-350 and couldn't budge it. Dont know why i didnt try this before but when I hooked up the bobcat it came right out with no problems...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.