Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to use this thread to document my work on my front bumper build on my 2008 F250. I want the look and simplicity of a tube pre-runner bumper, but I also will mount a winch to it. I hope to make it as low as profile as possible with a clean color matched look and some good tow points.

I bought this truck with a lot issues and it has been one headache after another. For performance I replaced the motor with a bored long block with studs, new fuel pumps, rebuilt both turbos with billet wheels, deleted the EGR cooler and DPF, installed 5" exhaust, added a No Limit intake, filter, and intercooler cold pipe with synthetic boots and programmed a H&S Mini Maxx. For general maintenance I flushed the coolant system and added a coolant filter kit and new water pump, replaced the leaking hydroboost brake valve, changed the airbag clock spring, took out the dash and replaced the heater core and dropped the fuel tank and repaired the sending unit.

I really want to use it to tow my jeep and sometimes it requires expeditions off-road. I really wish this truck was a Raptor F250, but suspension mods are yet to come.

On to the bumper...

I realize the truck has been in a wreck before, but the stock chrome replacement bumper was barely on it with bent and twisted brackets and no tow hooks or fog lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a billet insert to fill the middle opening and cover the ugly chipped intercooler, but it only lasted until a recent recovery trip where I came home with my bumper held on with a ratchet strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been following off-road websites and forums for about 25 years so I have no shortage of inspiration in fabrication. I found these recently that I am really impressed by and I hope to recreate the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew I wanted rolled tubes to match the grille curve, so I bought the Harbor Freight tube roller, as well as the aftermarket additions sold by SWAG Offroad. I picked up a 20' stick of 2"x.188 DOM tubing and started rolling. I would roll 1 big piece the same radius then cut it down to the sections I needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't happy with the stock intercooler, considering I broke the plastic mounts when a boot blew off, so I bought this nice CSF replacement with all steel tanks and brackets. I also replaced the front body mounts under the radiator support.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I laid a .250" plate across the frame rails to mock up a winch mount and it looks like my low profile Warn HS9500 will fit below the grille when closed. I notched it for the intercooler and shaped the leading edge to match the rolled tube. Then bent some 4" plate to cap the ends of the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I capped the ends with .1875" plate and added the height to match the bottom of the grille. I also bent the ends to contour the body mount and add another mounting bolt. Then added the matching upper rolled tube and a lower 1.25"x.188 crossbar for intercooler protection.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,916 Posts
:popcorn2:...

Reactions: john galt

·
california deplorable
11,263 Posts
i like it :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned up the winch mount and added a primer coat to keep it from rusting. Now I am working on mounting and wiring the winch. Coincidentally my battery light came on on the dash and my alternator test checked with a faulty voltage regulator. Perfect time to upgrade for the winch with a new 300amp alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still working own this winch mount/bumper project. I got my Warn HS9500 mounted and wired with the solenoid control box tucked down in the bumper. I also decided to recess the hawse fairlead into the lower tube for better angles with the rope. That was a pain to shape the tube to fit right. I bent up a piece of 16ga aluminum I had and made some mounting tabs under everything for the skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gave it a coat of gold metallic spray paint to get a feel for the PTM look. I still need to add the top cover piece under the grill, as well as the outer wings under the headlights, but it's useable as is for now.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts