Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Either that or they're sick of complaints from their shoddy tunes.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Not to get all Political but if something does change soon we'll be meeting in alley ways behind the nearest 7 eleven and there will be a secret code we use to identify real owners vs EPA Spies and informants. California has been doing this for years. They even have a section on their c.a.r.b. website to report excessive smoking vehicles and they'll go through the DMV to find the owner and request them visit a station if the vehicle is eligible etc.

·
Hate stupid people
8,503 Posts
matter of time the EPA will shut them all down. making it all go underground.

Time for everyone to get properly educated and how to tune their own trucks.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
975 Posts
If I was code/computer/tune writing savvy, I would write an open source program for tuning these trucks. Everyone would be able to write their own tunes, and the info could be freely shared on how to do it, along with different tunes and the like.

For example, it's not illegal to have the plans take make a lighting link. It's just illegal to install one.

But, alas, I don't posses the skills required.

America, Land of the Free.*

*some restrictions may apply

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HP Tuners does that sort of thing from what I understand. People just need to make it work for their ride which isn't the best option since the "pay to play" rule is in effect. LOL

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
975 Posts
I’d never seen HP Tuners before. That’s really cheap for what it can do. I wonder how the crackdown will alter the tuning market? If I’m a tuner, I can’t sell tunes anymore, but what I can do is show YOU how to tune with HP tuners. Just buy the tuner and pay me $100 and I’ll show you what to adjust.

There’s still the whole delete hardware off the market issue. 80% EGR plates anyone?

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
80% EGR plates.....I LOVE that one.....LMAO....you just cornered the market. Pilot drill the mounting holes and purge holes.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
975 Posts
80% EGR plates.....I LOVE that one.....LMAO....you just cornered the market. Pilot drill the mounting holes and purge holes.

Exactly. Sell ‘em as paper weights. Maybe someone in the market will do something like that. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gotta jump on the bandwagon here as a co-worker just bought a sh*t ton of stuff from them back in Jan to improve his '13. Now I'm wondering if I should just get all the stuff I want (delete kit, tuner, exhaust) before it all dries up. Truck is only has a little over 22k on it and its a '16. Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Gotta jump on the bandwagon here as a co-worker just bought a sh*t ton of stuff from them back in Jan to improve his '13. Now I'm wondering if I should just get all the stuff I want (delete kit, tuner, exhaust) before it all dries up. Truck is only has a little over 22k on it and its a '16. Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?
If you plan on going that route then I would hurry up and get everything now. I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard that the EPA is trying to force EZ Lynk to release their cloud info to find out who all has a delete file for their trucks. Sounds like something they would do so I wouldn't put it past them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Open source? Nah. These trucks are too complex for some Joe Blow to write a free coding software that everyone could use and tweak their own. When I had my foxbody I had a chip by a company called Moates and that's exactly what it was, open source tuning. Was cool, a bit skeptical at times.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
975 Posts
If I thought it was something I would want I'd get while the getting is good. Things may settle down, or not.

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard that the EPA is trying to force EZ Lynk to release their cloud info to find out who all has a delete file for their trucks.
Holy sht.

Open source? Nah. These trucks are too complex for some Joe Blow to write a free coding software that everyone could use and tweak their own. When I had my foxbody I had a chip by a company called Moates and that's exactly what it was, open source tuning. Was cool, a bit skeptical at times.
Open source doesn't have to mean free. Another way to look at it, the program to write these tunes is already out there. What good is it to the man that created it if nobody can use it to write and sell tunes? It's useless. However, if I had created that program, I could sell it to individuals. Bam. New revenue stream. What they do with it isn't my concern. Whether that be delete it or blow it up.

I wonder if all of this isn't a tantrum over Trump stripping California's ability to set emission standards for the whole country?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get the EPAs gripe and all, but its really just a load of crap. The US cant control the global warming (a dang farce) if the rest of the world isnt on board to control it as well. I, as well as many others, fed into the 'we're gonna get your assault weapons' back during the previous administration and bought a cpl more and PLENTY of ammo, even though i didnt need them. They can't shut everybody down as far as tuning or anything else. They could impose high fines to stop the manufacture of mass produced exhausts, plates, and tuners, but just like the drug/gun/tuner issue- if you want it and are willing to pay for it or make it, you will have it. It may come at a higher price bc of govt imposed rules, but it will be out there somewhere. I guess bc of the PPEI deal, I'm more or less looking for suggestions of who to buy from and what to buy. The truck is bone stock '16. My old rusty 7.3 was bone stock until April of this year when I put the 4" MBRP on it. So that should tell you I'm old (51), not looking to pound the ground or constantly roll coal, just improve and hopefully prolong the life of my truck(s). The '01 really feels like a different vehicle with just the addition of an exhaust. I cant imagine how it would react with a tuner!

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I thought it was something I would want I'd get while the getting is good. Things may settle down, or not.

Holy sht.

Open source doesn't have to mean free. Another way to look at it, the program to write these tunes is already out there. What good is it to the man that created it if nobody can use it to write and sell tunes? It's useless. However, if I had created that program, I could sell it to individuals. Bam. New revenue stream. What they do with it isn't my concern. Whether that be delete it or blow it up.

I wonder if all of this isn't a tantrum over Trump stripping California's ability to set emission standards for the whole country?
Those were my thoughts exactly when I heard about it and definitely sounds like something they would do.

I'm sure some of it has something to do with that but they've been on a mission now for a while; they're just ramping up their efforts. California, along with several other states, has initiated several lawsuits against the Trump administration because he is trying his damndest to block some of their ridiculous shenanigans. I just hope EZ Lynk fights it like Apple did when the government tried to force Apple to do the same thing. Only thing is, EZ Lynk doesn't have the money that Apple does. If the EPA gets their way, there will be a TON of changes throughout the motorsports and modification world. They're saying that if you have an engine that comes with emissions equipment, you cannot take it off period. Doesn't matter if it will be going in an older vehicle, and vehicle made strictly for race purposes, and/or a vehicle made strictly for offroad purposes. Absolutely insane!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts