Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i want to sell my 99 psd and buy a 03-05 cummins what do you guyies think about the cummins

·
Registered
999 Posts
its alright i would get a manual trans unless u have some $$$ for a good tranny

Matt

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
why you wanna switch? more power? if so why not a cummins swap?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 92 jeep is was going to drive though the summer and save up a and cummins switch is out of my league i want a crew cab to and newer

·
Registered
92 Posts
cummins might have the race heritage behind them but how could you defile the blue oval by wanting a dodge?

·
Registered
613 Posts
They are nice trucks. If you can, get an 04.5 - 05, because they had more power. Or maybe same hp but more torque (600 or 610) can't remember. But I think the 03 and early 04 had like 555 torque. With the transmission, as long as you aren't going crazy with adding power the stock auto will be fine for a while at least. It's when you start going crazy with the chips that add like 200+ hp that you have issues. I have a friend with an 05 with a basic bully dog chip and his trans is fine. I think you will like it, the only thing since you are wanting a crew cab is that the back seat of the dodge crew cab really isn't much bigger than a ford extended cab, especially if the driver is tall. The ford crew cab has way more room.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think i want to sell my 99 psd and buy a 03-05 cummins what do you guyies think about the cummins

Get an 04.5 or 05 for sure :thumb:. I just sold my 01 Cummins and got an 05 quad cab short bed 4x4 6SP. It is a great truck. Lots of power, plenty of room inside the cab and if you get one that is loaded it has all the creature comforts you could ever want. The autos are pretty fast but yes it will take more money to mod rather than a clutch in a manual. Good luck with the search, auto or manual you will be happy. Everyone might not like Dodges that much but the Cummins is well worth it :nod:.

·
Registered
750 Posts
LOL...The funny thing is my buddy with an 06 cummins, hates his seats, he's saving for aftermarket ones...he swears those seats are going to wind up in a class action law suit for the pain they put in his back...I think the interior is way cheaper..and if you get a chance crawl underneath one and look...:scared: Unbelievable how chinsy... an F150 is as sturdy as their 3500...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you will find that most of the guys that buy their diesel trucks for towing and performance go Cummins, those who want to ride in a cadillac go Powerstroke. I would say depends on what you want to do with the truck and go from there.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
yeah i dislike everything about a dodge besides the cummins, i like all diesels. I drove a dodge a few times, and i swear it was just like driving one of there mini vans.... but thats just me, i would never give up my ford truck, and the funny thing was i wasnt a big ford guy before i baught it. but i will never not have one now

i disagree. the cady is duramax.... ford is the work horse with the room and comfort.. it has the best of all areas, not just the max of 1

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you will find that most of the guys that buy their diesel trucks for towing and performance go Cummins, those who want to ride in a cadillac go Powerstroke. I would say depends on what you want to do with the truck and go from there.
I have to agree with this poster. No one makes a nicer interior than Ford. Chevy and Dodges are too plastic feeling inside and they just seem plain old cheap in the inside. As far as the Cummins, one of my friends has a 2500 Dodge with Cummins and when he needs to move his camper around he calls up my buddy with a 6.0L F250. He says that camper controls where the truck goes with his dodge but he can barely notice it's behind him when he's driving the Ford. This is from a die-hard dodge guy also. I know the Duramax's are significantly lighter than the Fords but I don't know how much a Dodge weighs in at.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You will be happy with a newer cummins, or a newer ford. Id test drive them both, then make up your mind. Either way your gonna be happy. They both last forever, but i would have to say that my ford handles a load better.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have to agree with this poster. No one makes a nicer interior than Ford. Chevy and Dodges are too plastic feeling inside and they just seem plain old cheap in the inside. As far as the Cummins, one of my friends has a 2500 Dodge with Cummins and when he needs to move his camper around he calls up my buddy with a 6.0L F250. He says that camper controls where the truck goes with his dodge but he can barely notice it's behind him when he's driving the Ford. This is from a die-hard dodge guy also. I know the Duramax's are significantly lighter than the Fords but I don't know how much a Dodge weighs in at.
I have to agree with both guy's. They are not as nice inside as a :icon_ford:. My brother-in-law had an 03 2500 4x4 auto, He and I traded trucks for a month while he went to the Valley. It was OK. The seats were fine, Power was good, But I would buy a 6.0L powerstroke over and over again.
His tranny started giving him trouble around 180k, He traded it in quickly for a 6.0 GMC 2500 gasser, So I do not know what kind of money or what the problem ended up being.

Good Luck man

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You will be happy with a newer cummins, or a newer ford. Id test drive them both, then make up your mind. Either way your gonna be happy. They both last forever, but i would have to say that my ford handles a load better.
Do you think the 5.9 24v could be more powerful or just better over all than the 6.7L if you put the same MOD money in each. Let's say 2 grand each.
Always wondered this.

·
Registered
771 Posts

if your towing or working, get a ford, it will hold up.

if you want to ride around, romp on it and be loud... get a dodge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do you think the 5.9 24v could be more powerful or just better over all than the 6.7L if you put the same MOD money in each. Let's say 2 grand each.
Always wondered this.
If you bought a 6.7 you would have to spend quite a good chunk of that on a dpf delete and smarty

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Always wondered this.
A 5.9l is cheap and very easy to make fast. Well not cheap, but cheaper than a 6.7 and a powerstroke.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sry but my stroke will out run and out tow a cummins any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:burnout

1 - 20 of 71 Posts