Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new here, have a problem.. I recently replaced my cps, ( truck would die on me) and got that all taken care of, now i have a new problem... The truck is a 99 auto 7.3 now it runs rough and the service light is on.. I took it to get scanned, and it didnt read anything.. they said its because its not the check engine light ? its the service soon light, so it wouldnt read any codes... after reading a few threads I now thinking its the wiring harness under the valve cover ( the externals looked fine) Has anyone else delt with this ? Just wanted to double check before i order up the kit that comes with new gloplugs, wiring harness and valve seal. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
If you smell the cap where you fill the oil you will know right away whether or not those are burned up... you will get a horrible smell like somethings burnt.... nothing like an oil smell

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Before you do anything. The check engine light and service soon light are the same freakin thing. The code scanner or reader that was used is an OBDII scan tool. How ever our trucks are equipped with OBDII but they are Non-compliant OBDII. Which means most OBDII scan tools will not work.

If you take it to the dealership or shop. That has diagnostic equipment. They will be able to pull codes for you. I would do nothing till you actually get the trouble codes from the computer on the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the heads up on the scan tool! when they told me that i was like wtf ? Took it to autozone since it was free to use, Guess i will call the ford dealer up and see how much they want to charge to pull the codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just got off the phone with ford and they want 102 to scan it... wtf... might as well buy my own.. any ideas on what scan tool will work ?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Auto Enginuity

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
just got off the phone with ford and they want 102 to scan it... wtf... might as well buy my own.. any ideas on what scan tool will work ?
I have Auto Enginuity. You can get it through ITP. But you need a lap top to run it.

That is typical charge to scan for codes. They most likely will do an Injector Buzz test as well as cylinder contribution test, and some other diagnostic tests.

Where are you located some one on here may have the a scan tool that can help you out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok just took the truck to my father in law who had a code reader, the codes are

po266
po265
p1272
p1274
p1294

any help reading this codes would be greatly helpfull..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so found the codes/ what they mean

PO266 Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance Fault
PO265 Injector Circuit High - Cylinder 2
P1272 High to Low Side Open - Cylinder 2
P1274 High to Low Side Open - Cylinder 4
P1294 High Side Open Bank No. 2 (Left)

So whats the next step ? faulty injectors ? Wiring Harness inside the valves shorted out ? The IDM box bad ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would recommend doing some troubleshooting before assuming anything is bad. Just because the code is there doesnt mean something is bad, it could be symptom of a different problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the fix?

I've got a truck not running good. I've tried a few of the things listed on this website.
Of course, I found out here that my 2001 F-350 is not OBDII compatible.
Is there anyone in the southeast Houston area that has an AE code reader?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts