Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my ps pump today with a reman, due to leakage. I can tell you that when I filled it up(old pump) to the full marks the pump would whine at idle or atreal low rpm as if it neede more fluid. IT was Very quiet and operated fine with low fluid in it. I replacedit today and filled it accordingly. It no longer leaks(i hope)
but I still get the whine at idle or real mellow driving, like, when I am doing a 3 point turn or something. Why would it be quieter if I take fluid out?
My wife said just run it low.... But in all my years thats never been the answer.
any clues?
thanks and sorry for all the post questions, I am trying to fix this truck for my wifes daily driver. She works on a horse/ large animal hospital and needs the truck.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went outside, jacked it up, and took off the ps cap. I turned the wheels, lock to lock, a bunch of times and stepped on the brakes. Added a bit of fluid. (I never emptied the steering box or anything), so it was never ran dry. When installing the new pump I filled it and then started it and added fluid as needed. I am not sure if there is still air in this hydroboost system. I did not turn the wheels back and forth with tires off the ground at all.(at first) I did tonite.
WIll this system bleed itself after driving it for a couple days.
How do you know if there is air in the system brake wise?(hydrosystem)

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Yes you probably have air in the system, normal driving should bleed it out. The PS system on the superduties has never been adequate, especially at low rpm's or at idle, then when you add larger tires it makes it even worse. I would recommend synthetic fluid, it made a huge difference in the way mine acted at lower rpm's.

NCH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts