Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i made the bit trip from Sacramento CA, to Bend Oregon. Once in the safety of my driveway, i go to back the truck up and park and all the sudden BAM! Made me jump in my seat i cough me off guard. Tried to move the steering wheel and i couldn't even budge it with out rolling.:eek:hnoes:

turn off the truck and pop the hood and found the power steering line from the pump to the gear box blew and got fluid all over my truck :doh:

:please:Luckly i was able to get the the parts store that had the replacement line and got it all fixed that night. was cold out about 32* compared to Cali being is the 50's or higher.

was wondering if this is a known problem or maybe a first. let me know

·
Registered
154 Posts
Same thing happened to me few years ago. Remember these trucks are far from brand new, say around 16 years old. Pretty good for original parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
257 Posts
crazy! mine blew on Sunday! was driving from killdeer north dakota to dallas, Oregon. mine blew in portland, OR on I5. had to drive 30 miles, but got a hose and put it on. same hose and same spot!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow crazy, glad you could get it fixed on the fly like that jason.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Very common problem on these trucks. My 97's blew about 6 months ago. Cheers!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Definitely not an enjoyable experience. I lost brakes and steering coming into a 25mph turn at 40mph (vacuum pump blew a pulley and shredded the belt) last year. Almost crapped myself from pulling on the steering wheel so hard trying to get around that corner.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
^same here last summer With a Horse trailer behind me. Thank someone for electric trailer brakes.

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
Note to self - replace power steering hoses just 'cause. :hehe:

This is the third instance I've read about on here this week. This just made my list.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha everyone check the powersteering lines! :laugh:
worried about the vacuum pump know... at least i know what will happen, love my hand shaker for slowing down :p

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
haha everyone check the powersteering lines! :laugh:
worried about the vacuum pump know... at least i know what will happen, love my hand shaker for slowing down :p
:hehe: No joke, man.

I replaced the vac pump on mine a few months back. Pulley started squealin' so I just got rid of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts