Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 F350 on 37's, brand new gear box + ps pump less than a year ago. Power steering use to lock up after initial start then would go away, recently the initial lockup hasn't happened in a few months. I just arrived in Virginia from Massachusetts with no issues at all, all of a sudden today i drove local and the power steering was real tough unless i had the throttle down. For example on a straight away when i coast and then apply the brakes i can feel the brakes getting real weak and i attempt to turn the wheel but its like wrestling a fat broad. I checked the fluid and it was a CH low, no leaks either. Think its either air bound again or the pump saying goodbye. Was thinking of having the stealership power flush the system.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Most f-350 have a powersteering booster between the vacum booster and the brake master cylinder. Have an assistant with the truck idleing turn the wheel and apply the brake, see if you hear any sound like sucking or blowing air.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It actually ended up being the alternator, I drove the truck a few hundred feet and let it idle in the parking lot. Turned it off opened the hood and could smell something awful burning, alternator was smoking which leads me to believe that its getting jamed up and causing the issue with the belt system. I also had the battery light flicker at idle the day before for maybe 3 seconds. Sucks the alternator is only a little over a year old, and its a high output alternator.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Wow really bad luck there. And no warrenty left I bet that would be my luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts