Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i get the most power out of my '03 with the least amount of smoke?!?!?! dont get me wrong i know it'll smoke alittle bit but i dont want it to roll coal... so what has worked is working or think will work??? keep in mind this is gonna be a long term project.:thumb:

Reactions: Oliveira1818

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Best suggestion, increase airflow, and keep the tuning reasonable.

Now with that said, my X-Race - when driven as my DD tune - doesn't smoke hardly at all unless I break over 1/4 throttle.

Looks like you are just getting started based on the sig. Here's how'd I'd make power, with smoke being of concern.

1) Monitor (check link in sig) - nothing like dropping money in power, only to have the truck need something else at the moment.
2) Aftermarket cold air intake (S&B's unit, bar none).
3) SCT tuning (keep the tunes limited to around 400RWHP until you get studded)
4) MTW Stage 1 turbo (again adding air before fuel - if you are going to want more power than stock injectors, you may want to wait and match the turbo to said injectors)

After that, its all about inproving airflow (Intake and Exhaust manifolds, etc.) but you start talking a lot of money for that. You already have the exhaust system on, and its all you'll need in that department.
2)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Once everything is ready for a custom tune (gauges, oil cooler/EGR delete, 4" exhaust), I really like Gearhead's SRL tune. It smokes when I spool up, but then it clears up really quick. Quicker than any other tune that I have run. I was considering an MTW, but being on OEM head bolts, I don't want to push my luck too hard.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have tunes form all of the big tuners. The TSD SPD has the most power bar none, but it smokes a LITTLE. The best one that I have ever tried for smoke and power is Gearheads SRL Lite. It is for non studded trucks and I ran it for a while before I got studs. It barely smoked at all and has really good power for the amount of smoke and that it is for non-studded trucks.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I have tunes form all of the big tuners. The TSD SPD has the most power bar none, but it smokes a LITTLE. The best one that I have ever tried for smoke and power is Gearheads SRL Lite. It is for non studded trucks and I ran it for a while before I got studs. It barely smoked at all and has really good power for the amount of smoke and that it is for non-studded trucks.
Chris B just posted the other day that he will no longer supply email tunes. He is going to focus strictly on live tuning at TSD so count him out unless you are willing to take your truck to him.

You also might want to check the dyno sheets posted of the MTW stage2 with 175/75's where Vivian's Looney bettered TSDs SPD by 5 rwhp and tq.

In reality all of the tuners make pretty much the same power, it is in the transmission tuning where they really differ.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Chris B just posted the other day that he will no longer supply email tunes. He is going to focus strictly on live tuning at TSD so count him out unless you are willing to take your truck to him.

You also might want to check the dyno sheets posted of the MTW stage2 with 175/75's where Vivian's Looney bettered TSDs SPD by 5 rwhp and tq.

In reality all of the tuners make pretty much the same power, it is in the transmission tuning where they really differ.
Yes I know that Chris posted that. I also realize that the Looney bested the TSD with the MTW turbo. I also realize that every truck is different. I was speaking of my truck with my mods and my seat of the pants feeling. My looney wild might best my SPD on a dyno but the SPD feels stronger. That's all I was trying to say. Sorry if it come across wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yeah, peak power doesn't equate to drivability. Wasn't trying to dog Chris's tunes. I like them too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A quicker spooling wheel in your turbo

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to update my sig currently my truck is beimg studded and i have an edge cs evolution (got it for a deal). I have been looking at MTW stage 1 or the hybrid with 155's. Does anyone have the contact info for vivian for when i get my sct

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Another nice turbo option is the Garrett powermax +batmo wheel if you going to stay at a 155 injector or lower. as for my setup the only time I roll coal is if I'm idling at a stop and just WOT other than that just a little haze when cruzing then going WOT.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I need to update my sig currently my truck is beimg studded and i have an edge cs evolution (got it for a deal). I have been looking at MTW stage 1 or the hybrid with 155's. Does anyone have the contact info for vivian for when i get my sct

Sent from my DROID RAZR
http://www.quicktricksauto.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 11 of 11 Posts